Getting level floor tiles - using spacers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be tiling a concrete screed floor soon, but a little nervous about getting the tiles even. fortunately the floor is even, and therefore the only thing that can ruin it is if i bed the tiles to firm, whilst other not so firm. Therefore I was thinking about laying the adhesive and then laying flat say, a spacer in each area where the tile corners will be so that I can bed the tile down, but only ever down as far a the space, resulting in a constant level floor?

Sponsored Links
Interesting idea, but not necessary.
It's not difficult to get tiles flat to each other if your floor is flat. Just be reasonably consistant with how firmly you press them into the adhesive and you'll be fine. You don't need to apply that much force - just a little wiggle is enough. ;)

I find the best way is to get a piece of thick ply about 18" square and screw a piece of batten to the back as a handle then press it on the tiles after you've laid a few - it will even up all the corners for you.

you dont have to flatten floor tiles into the adhesive just a gentle push is all it needs , rapid set adhesive has a natural suction effect anyway. If floor is flat then your tiles will be to

Sponsored Links
You can't beat your hands on the tile as you push it into the adhesive,you can feel the tiles next to each other and you will know by rubbing your hands across the joints if one is higher than the other, and can make an adjustment.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back