Getting paid on completion

I'm not sure why I would be expected to leave my 1500 quid boiler in your house that I've had to pay for?. Do you go to b&q and tell them you'll come back and pay for the wallpaper in a few days if you think it looks nice?

Sponsored Links
tradespeople are experts in fixing and installing stuff, not necessarily billing and invoicing etc. So keep it simple, pay on completion.

I'm not sure why I would be expected to leave my 1500 quid boiler in your house that I've had to pay for?. Do you go to b&q and tell them you'll come back and pay for the wallpaper in a few days if you think it looks nice?

Okay so on that basis your happy if I pay for materials upfront and pay your labour charge 48 hours after completion to ensure its been installed correctly? Fine by me. I have faith my £1500 boiler from Vaillant is going to work, if it doesn't I have faith in my consumer rights and sales of goods act that it will be rectified by Vaillant. If I had more faith in tradesmen upholding their work quality after payment id be more than happy to pay them on completion. It all comes down to my faith in tradesmen. It's a huge gamble and their are some real bad tradesmen out there. It's them giving other more reputable tradesmen a bad name.

48 hours for me is a good compromise. I can see everything works and you get your money before the weeks out for overheads, bills etc. Materials as above im happy to pay upfront. Everybodys happy. Or maybe not have.

Last edited:
Okay so on that basis your happy if I pay for materials upfront and pay your labour charge 48 hours after completion to ensure its been installed correctly? Fine by me. I have faith my £1500 boiler from Vaillant is going to work, if it doesn't I have faith in my consumer rights and sales of goods act that it will be rectified by Vaillant. If I had more faith in tradesmen upholding their work quality after payment id be more than happy to pay them on completion. It all comes down to my faith in tradesmen. It's a huge gamble and their are some real bad tradesmen out there. It's them giving other more reputable tradesmen a bad name

Calm down Martin Lewis, if you don't have faith in the trader to do a good job then don't employ them in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Calm down Martin Lewis, if you don't have faith in the trader to do a good job then don't employ them in the first place.

Believe me, unless I absolutely have to anymore I don't.

No offence intended to any of you reputable trades on here just one man's opinion and a few bad experiences.

Trouble is from a practical point of view the moment the trader leaves site they have to start chasing, 48 hours isn't the problem it's the chasing.
If payment was 100% guaranteed then even a week wouldn't be a big problem, but no one wants to go back whether it's in an hour or in 48 hours.

knowing that if buying from Amazon for example if there were any problems they'd be instantly rectified

You gotta be feckin kidding, right? “Instantly”! You must have an Amazon “Royal” account... more than us mere “Prime” account holders... FFS!

This discussion began, regarding “some” customers... and here we are again with ALL tradesmen being branded as cowboys and rip-off merchants!

Some “people” are just ar$eholes... be they customer or service-provider.

I have experienced more customers than you have trades... therefore more ar$eholes... “you lot” :rolleyes:

Trouble is from a practical point of view the moment the trader leaves site they have to start chasing, 48 hours isn't the problem it's the chasing.
If payment was 100% guaranteed then even a week wouldn't be a big problem, but no one wants to go back whether it's in an hour or in 48 hours.

Yeah good point id not considered that and definitely makes me see the trades side. I can only speak from what I normally would do which is on completion get trades account and sort code and pending good job within 48 hours pay online no hassle. Guess it doesn't always work like that.

Anyway I've caused enough trouble round here. Sun time.

Okay so on that basis your happy if I pay for materials upfront and pay your labour charge 48 hours after completion to ensure its been installed correctly?
I think I would be if I was ok to credit score you and decide if I wanted to open an account for you and leave your purchases on it.

Another issue is that there are these lovely tradesmen who call you back right away to get a job, but once they have been paid, they never bother getting back to you when you tell them something isn't right. We have been chasing someone who did some roofline work for 13 months, and only when we threatened to take it further he became somewhat responsive, yet kept cancelling or just not showing up, and when he did he'd ''forgotten" a part or a tool.
In hindsight I wish I hadn't paid him right away.

I give people 14 days to pay, and don't take deposits, but I seem to be in a minority here! I find customers tend to appreciate and reciprocate a bit of trust

My central heating company who replaced my boiler/system 20 years ago 3 years after i moved into my new house because it was installed by monkeys have been excellent over the last 20 years, free advice over the phone, come out either same day or next day for issues ( not thier making) reasonable prices and service it every year. They send email invoice 3 days after visit i pay same day by BACS. Sorted

That would be sold as seen obviously.

No such thing if you buy a used car from a dealer.

And as for giving people 2 days to pay (different if you actually know the person) - do you realise that there are actually people who set out to get free work? No intention of paying. Not that uncommon. Two days down the line when you're banging on the door, you've got no chance. If you've agreed payment on completion, and customer doesn't, it's better to be in the house with your materials. (y)

You'll have to see the Mrs for payment .....I spend all my money on women and beer and waste the rest !

I got paid .....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back