Getting quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to agree with Bolo.

It is a very competitive world out there Softus and people want the BEST job done for the BEST price! ;)

Sponsored Links
You can't tell if someone is competent and trustworthy from the price they give. The best way is to go by recommendation from someone whom you yourself trust
The rule says
You are best advised to get a few quotes from recommended tradespeople!

I fail to see the difference

breezer said:
if you like.
And yet, I don't like.

...(but also there was no spam, adult posts, most of you and Softus)
In the beginning there was breezer, and breezer looked upon the forum and saw that it was good. And yet breezer could not rest, and so pretended to himself that he was a moderator, and so did litter the forum with benign posts devoid of point.

Yes it is a pain for the person quoting a job to go out of their way to quote and not get the job, but life is like that
No, life isn't like that for everyone, therefore it doesn't have to be like that for anyone.

Change forum rule 9 back to how it used to be,(all one paragraph, BUT change several quotes to 2 or 3 quotes)
It didn't say "several". :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
So you get one quote and only one. You go with that quote even though you have no idea how competitive it is, but your friend said they leave a good job so thats that then.

Not how i'd go about it but each to his/her own.

i admit its been about a week since i last looked at the forum rules, they have been changed slightly. :cry:

Quote:
If you seek more than one quote etc.

That must be about the daftest piece of advice that I've ever read on this forum!..................... is it not a fact that all contracts, local, national and international are won or lost on the basis of tender.

I say it again Softus, it really is " the daftest piece of advice that I've ever read on this forum" rsvp.

denso13 said:
So you get one quote and only one. You go with that quote even though you have no idea how competitive it is, but your friend said they leave a good job so thats that then.
Don't be pathetic. If you want more than one reference then just ask the tradesperson for other customers who would be willing to speak up for them.

I can't believe I have to tell you again bolo - your posts don't hold the tiniest bit of interest to me.

I can't believe I have to tell you again bolo - your posts don't hold the tiniest bit of interest to me.

Got to admit Softus, if I was in your shoes I would probably feel the same. Not so much a case of if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen, more like that chef's too good a cook - better get rid of him!

PS Who's next for the chop?

denso13 said:
Concentrate.
I'm not the one who doesn't understand what the topic is about. You seem to have forgotten who created it.

bolo said:
Who's next for the chop?
The next p1ss-head who can't spell. :rolleyes:

bolo said:
Who's next for the chop?
The next p**s-head who can't spell. :rolleyes:

The field is open then?

PS since I really find no pleasure in upsetting you, you now have my word that I will not reply to, or make reference to, any post that you make. I will however reserve the right to reply to other members on any topic REGARDLESS of who initiated that topic.

PPS Where does the spelling come into this anyway? Have I made a boo boo in my spelling somewhere? This question is directed at anyone who cares to answer.

PPPS I still think that your statement on quotes is the daftest thing I've read on this forum!

Softus said:
. You can't tell if someone is competent and trustworthy from the price they give.

Of course, and I did not imply that.

Softus said:
The best way is to go by recommendation from someone whom you yourself trust.

I agree again, recommendation is the way to go. I would ask around for recommended people and have a quote and would go with the person I felt happy with.

I think what is annoying you is that people are going to be quoting for jobs they are not going to get which is enevitable in a free market. Sorry.

I'm just off now to do a few quotes for little jobs. :LOL:

Bahco said:
Softus said:
You can't tell if someone is competent and trustworthy from the price they give.
Of course, and I did not imply that.
You seem to be confusing yourself with the forum rule. My statement, that you took out of context, clearly said:

I'm questioning it [i.e. the rule] for the following reasons:

1. You can't tell if someone is competent and trustworthy from the price they give. The best way is to go by recommendation from someone whom you yourself trust.

Softus said:
I would ask around for recommended people and have a quote and would go with the person I felt happy with.
Can I take it from this statement that you believe the answer to my original question to be: 'because that's what people like to do'?

I think what is annoying you is that people are going to be quoting for jobs they are not going to get which is enevitable in a free market.
I think what's confusing you is that you think I'm annoyed, whereas I'm not.

I'm not under any illusions here - people will do what they want to do. Some people will evade tax, or import duty, or not pay car insurance, or steal a ride on a train, or lie about their age, or bunk off school, or a bunch of other stuff. But all of these things are undesirable and they all cost the country some loss of productivity, and rules and laws exist to moderate and control people's behaviour.

The thing I'm questioning is why the forum rules explicitly encourage people to do something that very few people need to do, and that, it can easily be reasoned, is a waste of time for a great many people.

I find it sorrowful that nobody who has posted on this topic has said that they understand the underlying point, and that you all seem obsessed with pointing out the bleeding obvious, which is that people already have a tendency to seek quotes.

The more you, Bahco, and others, argue that the quoting is widespread and is the status quo, the more relevant my point becomes, and the more time there is to be saved.

And for those who are particularly hard of thinking, my postulate has nothing to do with matters outside the trades for which advice on this web site is given, so any arguments about getting quotes from solicitors etc. are particularly stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back