mybuilder, rated people etc, which is best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick answer

mybuilder

Why?

If you post a job on Rated People your details will be available to buy for the first tradesperson who likes the sound of your job. Once it has been bought once then the next tradesperson can see it has already been bought and unless the job is particularly juicy or they are particularly desperate then they won't want to enter into a competition with another person. ie tradepeople will be become increasingly disincentivized the more the job contact details are bought. The outcome of all this is you are unlikely to receive more than 2 contacts for your job although of course you are free to review their ratings when they do.

Now mybuilder.

Once your job has been posted tradespeople can see the job details and here is the difference. They can REGISTER their interest. It costs them nothing to do this. No one is increasingly put off by the idea that someone has contacted you already. You the client will be notified of all the tradespeople that like the look of your job. You get to review all their profiles and it still costs nobody anything at this point for you to do this. Then you can shortlist all the tradespeople you would like to be contacted by. At this point the particular tradesperson that has registered their interest and who you would like to talk to is charged a fee for the privilege. The outcome of all this is that you will have far more choice of tradespeople to choose from. The tradespeople are also charged less per job lead as more of them are likely to do so. This all creates a virtuous circle. And of course you can still review the ratings.

Check a trade. Trust a trader etc.

The worst of all and the least sophisticated. They charge the tradesperson a large annual fee of around £1000. For this they get on the local leaflets that you may of seen. They are presented as 'reputable' tradespeople. The reviews are highly vetted and there is a large bias towards the tradesperson. They are basically local advertising outfits with dodgy reviews riding on the back of the vogue for internet sourced tradespeople.

And that's it.

A local electrician.

Sponsored Links
They're all crap.

They imply someone decent is sat around waiting for a phone call. Just as well to look someone up on Google Reviews.

Sponsored Links
Not true. No one is sitting around. They are a way for tradespeople to contact people who wish to have work done. I can easily do this whilst on a job using my phone. The point is which website is going to give you the most choice?

No one is sitting around. They are a way for tradespeople to contact people who wish to have work done.

How does a trades person contacting someone who needs work doing not imply they're sat around waiting for work?

"Hello Sharon, yeah I'm up to my eyeballs right now but I did notice you needed a bit doing, I can be over this afternoon"

"Hello Sharon, yeah I'm up to my eyeballs right now but I did notice you needed a bit doing, I can be over this afternoon"

That's about right. Or he can book her in for a day when he knows he's free?

They're all crap.
..... and the people on them.

The problem is, people are stupid. They think it's like checking the Amazon review and ordering a job on Prime next day.

I did some work a while back on post inspections of social housing work. The landlords had carried out telephone surveys for quality and satisfaction. Of the excess of 98% satisfaction ratings, with the usual "lovely man, great job" type comments, when the jobs were actually inspected and assessed against actual standards, specifications, success and longevity of repair, pass rate was in the low 20%.

I tried both of those trade sites when moved to a new area, and left trusted, fab tradesmen behind. Despite having the best reviews, all 4 traders did a ****e job.
Funnily enough, today I looked up the people who fitted our new front door, designated by our insurance co and they get shoddy reviews on google reviews and others, yet my builder they get 100% great. My experience with them has been less than complementary so how come?!

Oh... there we go. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42783279

..... and the people on them.

The problem is, people are stupid. They think it's like checking the Amazon review and ordering a job on Prime next day.

I did some work a while back on post inspections of social housing work. The landlords had carried out telephone surveys for quality and satisfaction. Of the excess of 98% satisfaction ratings, with the usual "lovely man, great job" type comments, when the jobs were actually inspected and assessed against actual standards, specifications, success and longevity of repair, pass rate was in the low 20%.

So how do you ensure the tradesperson you hire is right for the job? What is wrong with the reviews? How should they be vetted? Maybe you should go into business recommending people you know??

So how do you ensure the tradesperson you hire is right for the job? What is wrong with the reviews? How should they be vetted? Maybe you should go into business recommending people you know??

The internet has been about since the early 1990s.

Construction work in its most primal form has been around for centuries.

How did people get work before now???

Word of mouth. Much better.[/QUOTE

Implies they are sitting around on their arse waiting for you to call lol! I'm sure they're not up to their eyeballs.

I'm sure you won't get charged for the privilege of the recommendation either..

Sponsored Links
Back