Getting quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Softus.

How do you see the rule / advice being written that would be in the interest of the average Diyer who visits the site on a regular basis.

I really am trying to see your point and maybe your version of rule 9 would clarify it for me. :D

Sponsored Links
Thank you Bahco.

You're right - I should have proposed an alternative instead of just suggesting its removal. The following would support my 'cause':

Please seek recommendations from people you know and trust, then speak to those recommended traders.

Instead of discriminating solely on price, set criteria for selection of the tradesperson, e.g. the one you get on with the best, and establish a trusting relationship with the person.

By all means ask that person for an estimate, or a quotation, but please bear in mind that every other trader whom you ask to quote may be spending time for which they won't be paid.

Or something along those lines.

Good advice but maybe a little busy. ;)

Diynot may integrate your suggestion if you write in.

Have a good day. :D

Thanks Bahco; I shall heed all three of your suggestions.

Have a good day also.

Sponsored Links
Softus - What if like me you happen to know several good plasterers, half a dozen good sparks? is it wrong to ask for a quote from each of them?

The rule never said "Choose only on price" didi it?

Most who quote for work accept their time may be wasted with a healthy nothing ventured, nothing gained attitude.

Those who resent doing anything unless they are payed, can ask a fee for quoting if they wish (won't get many takers though - I know many who wasted lots of money on advertising by adding that stipulation)

And finaly, those who don't give quotes at all need not concern themselves with any issues concerning it including advice given on it.

For example, I don't do flower arranging, so I have no opinion/intrest in it or what anyone says about it.

You couldn't have missed the point more successfully even if Tony Blair had been advising you. :rolleyes:

It seems so many of us miss your points...maybe you don't make them well enough? or maybe you just don't have a point... just an attitude problem?

It seems so many of us miss your points.
I wholly disagree. It's only a notable few, which seems to include you.

If you haven't understood yet you probably never will.

my mistake - I'm as bad as bolo :LOL:

No it is not. And no you are not as bad as Bolo. What you have done is simply disagree with a pseudo intellectual. What I have done is to point out repeatedly that he has given the daftest piece of advice that I have ever read on this forum. He knows that this is so! On this occasion, however he has decided that it would be too much loss of face to admit the truth and so resorts to slagging off people like me who cant spell (so he says).

I admit that there are times when it can be of benefit to hire a tradesman recommended by a friend. I have done so myself. On the whole however, for anyone reading this, or rule 9b, it is simply sound common sense to get a few quotes for any project.

Can anyone tell me why the forum rules include this?

DIYnot.com said:
9b) You are best advised to get a few quotes from recommended tradespeople! ;)

I believe the administrator is 1 million % correct about giving pricing over the net for the following reasons.

1- Even country /area has different codes and requires different types of venting and waste and water supply materials

2- Not everyone has the same over head or works on the same profit margin

3- Bidding sight unseen is fool hardy to say the least.

4- Some areas require different fees for filings etc.

5- Many people do not know the true cost of doing business and may be a fly by night giving really low ball numbers.

I think there should be a 9 A ,B,C and D to try to cover as many bases as possible

You couldn't have missed the point more successfully even if Tony Blair had been advising you. :rolleyes:

Seems everyone is wrong but you ARE you SURE your taking your medications as perscribed????

We worry about you as you seem to have gone over the deep end lad.

Tony blair is not to your liking how about that moron Chamberlin "peace in our time" dealing with a dictartor. He is more to your liking and had the same mental capacirty you seem to be showing

Sylvan Tieger, please could you explain to me which part of your last two posts has anything whatsoever to do with my original post on this topic?

I think there should be a 9 A ,B,C and D to try to cover as many bases as possible
How about clauses B.A.R.K.I.N. and G. ?

Not wishing to upset you Softus but the nature of the beast is that you will not get every job you quote for!

I'm sure you are very good at your job but some people will always shop around and there is nothing you can do about this.

In an ideal world you are right with your comments but we do not live in an ideal world and therefore rule 9 is excellent advice to the general public. i.e get prices from people that have been recommended by friends etc. :D

this was probs written ages ago but i came across another tiler who was astonshed i got a job ahead of him, he really was wondering how he didnt get the job, his words were" in 20 years i have always got the job when ive done the quote" i just told him maybe his gift of the gab has gone.

sorry for interupting but it just came to mind when i read it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back