Getting rid of gas hob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me a steer, our gas hob is getting replaced by an electric one shortly. What i'd like to know is what will the gas man have to do to make safe etc and how much approx should he be charging me to do it?

Much obliged

Sponsored Links
He'll do a soundness test to ensure your system doesn't have any leaks, then remove the hob and cap off the supply pipe in a suitable location. Shouldn't take more than an hour if there is a suitable location close to the new hob and you have no leaks, but be prepared to be charged for travel to your house as well.

Sponsored Links
70 quid my ass its a 20 min job that someone would fit in on there way home from a days proper work and charge you max 30 quid beer money

Go ahead and do it then but what if it's not on your way home from work? you wont do it for thirty quid then will you Whats the point of doing a job if your not going to make a sensible amount of money I'm not talking about ripping people off, just making a sensible living :confused:

Get a grip its peace of pish job if you cant have it done in 20 mins you need to get another trade.
Is 30 QUID for 20 mins is not a sensible profit and if it takes you any longer it would suggest to me incompotent

Namsag, you havent factored in the cost of Travel, the Job might be 1 hour away!! you can't NOT FACTOR IN TRAVEL TIME :confused:

Oh yeah ANd you are suggesting £20 BEER MONEY, this indicates that you are not putting this through your books, should the cust try and claim on your liabillity insurance, they will find that they wont be able to because your insurers will claim that you were never at their property.

NONE OF THE ABOVE GIVES A PROFFESSIONAL IMAGE
Cost of PL Insurance for my business £1,500 per Year
Maintaining my Engineers Gas Safe £5,000 per Year
Rent of Office /Workshop £6,000 per year
Contract Hire 4 Vans £12,00 0er year
Annual road fuel Bill £8,000 per year
Business Rates £2,000 per year
Vehicle Insurance/Office insurance £4,000 per Year
Payroll £84,000 Per Year

ADD THAT LOT UP. and then tell me that £70 is unreasonable :eek:

5K To maintain gas safe explain.

i tip my hat to you , you have certainly done well in the past year to build a small company in such hard times, Seeing as you where working as a subbie last year.
Or are you not ricky and just one of his workers??

5k to maintatin gas safe includes 5 yearly ACS assessments for Non Domestic core, 5 appliances, Non domestic Core change over, Commercial pipework, Tightness Testing and Purging, Radiant heaters, warm air heaters flued appliances direct fired appliances, and LPG changeover all of this plus wages for time paid whilst on courses + gas safe registration is equal to £5,000 per year! :eek:

In addition we have Oftec 101/105E/600A (times 4)
Unvented Hotwater systems (times 4)
WRAS & Solar Thermal (times 1)

So you can see that doing £20 - £30 pound jobs, is just not possible and is nobody a favour at all :LOL:

Namsag, I'm inclined to agree with Boilerman. If someone calls me to disconnect a hob, then it is a paying job. They expect me to show up on time and I have to drive my van to their home. If I am delayed then they will be on the phone to demand where the hell I am. If the customer is a buddy of yours and is not too fussy when you do the job, then fair enough, £30 is fine but if it is a paying job, then that is quite a different matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back