getting rid of stupid ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The home that my partner and I have purchased has an absoloutley minging ceiling present throughout the property, it is one of those textured type ceilings that looks awful, I was wondering if anyone knows a way of getting rid of it as we really dont want it in our home, we just want plain smooth ceiling surface !? any info would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hi.
Is it artex? If it is, it can be skimmed over with plaster. I would ring around for quotes or if you know a plasterer even better.

Or you can rip the whole ceiling down and fit new plasterboard to the joists and then again skim over with new plaster. This can be vvery messy and and expensive to do though.

Bit of advice. Always be careful who you let loose in your home, there are some right cowboys about!!! ;) Always get someone who is recommened or trusted.

If its not artex...and its the polytex type type stuff (loads of grit...looks and feels very rough) then you may be able to scrape it off dry....occasionally it comes off in long strips...depending on well its stuck to the ceiling.....use a filling knife, it gets under it better.

Otherwise id do what Albo suggests.

Becuase in most cases by the time you have scraped the ceiling to death you will need a plasterer anyway.

I had a feel of it yesterday as we had no chairs at the time, it feels like its part of the plaster looks like paint bumps everywhere to describe it somewhat, i tried scracting it with my finger but it wouldnt even chip off. looks horrid so its alot easier to plaster over the stuff ? its of a smooth kind of touch to the fingers but like lots of drops of paint. :(

Sponsored Links
NewHomeNovice said:
I had a feel of it yesterday as we had no chairs at the time, it feels like its part of the plaster looks like paint bumps everywhere to describe it somewhat, i tried scracting it with my finger but it wouldnt even chip off. looks horrid so its alot easier to plaster over the stuff ? its of a smooth kind of touch to the fingers but like lots of drops of paint. :(

Hmmmm that does sound like stippled artex to me....I think you should be able to get away with plastering over it...best get advice from a plasterer.

Rough guess.....id say about 150 quid.

Hi, We've had the exact same ceiling throughout our flat, like water droplets.. The plasterer scraped all the bumps off and skimmed over it and the ceiling is now perfectly smooth. He charged just over £130 per ceiling per room (Room size: 4.6 x3.3 m), which was very reasonable in comparison to other quotes we received (We live in the South East of England). Ceilings are the most tiresome to plaster so the cost is dearer than plastering of walls, so I'm told..

Without wanting to sound boring, :evil: & not wanting to scare monger, yet trying to help if you do remove the ceiling yourself need to check it doesnt contain asbestos.

Anything prior to 1985 is quite likley to contain Asbestos. It is in very small quantities, so much so that (I believe) it is being taken off the licenced contractor list of materials shortly by the HSE.

I would go down the over-plaster route myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back