Getting started with copper (CH)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I need to do some work on my CH: replace a rad, move one, and add two. I have been unable to get quotes, so will do it myself. I need equipment! Everything from end-feed elbows to a blowtorch, to some rads.

I usually buy from toolstation. Are their soldering tools, accessories and fittings any good? Any other suppliers I should consider?

Is there any technical reason to choose rads with the side and top panels, over those without? Any particular valves I should use, or even stay away from?

I was planning on practising soldering with lots of scrap pipe. What is the simplest way to test for water-logged? Garden hose?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Richard.

Sponsored Links
The problem with these fittings from toolstation is you have to buy a bag of 25, and then if you leave 23 unused in the bag it somewhat negates the initial economy. Your local hardware store or builders merchant will sell you singles.

Nozzle

ts fittings etc are fine .don't understand your question about waterlog and hose. rads are more personal preference than anything else but their is a slight difference on heat output.for valves trv and lockshield for each rad ,and if on ground floor a drain cock ( can get them combined on a lockshield) the more expensive trv's look nicer ,but they all do the same job basically. ts range of tools ,tube cutters , torches etc are all perfectly good and keenly priced IMO.

nozzle, ts sell solder ring fittings (yorkshire )singularly. but end feeds are as you say in 25's. regards terry

Sponsored Links
I have been unable to get quotes,

Why?

The tools you buy will last you but when will you use them? A good torch head will cost you £70-80, gas will be another £15, tub of flux £10, roll of solder £20, flux brush £1, pipe slice £15, cleaning strips £7, heat mat £20, clips screws and plugs £5, fittings depends on what you are doing. Pipework is about £4 a metre for 15mm. The wasted pipe and fittings to practice depends on his quick you learn!

I could go on but do you see what it costs to tool up to do a simple job!? There is more to add but you should get the idea and get a quote! It'll be cheaper.

Jon

It'll be cheaper.

Yes, but this is a DIY site, and people DIY for lots of reasons including expanding their skillset, satisfaction, perhaps even demystifying the world rather than leaving everything to "experts".

If the OP is up for teaching himself soldering - it ain't that difficult and plenty of tutorials are available online - then more power to his elbow say I.

And yes, connecting up practice pieces to mains water pressure to test seems a good idea to me.

Thanks guys for the responses. I am happy to hear that the stuff from toolstation will do just fine.

I don't mind spending more on materials and having spares. I intend to replace some 15mm CH pipework with 22mm in future, so I will hopefully get my money's worth.

I had two reputable local firms round (happy to name them, they are both on Facebook). They said good things and went off to work out a quote. Never heard back from them, despite chasing. I guess some rads isn't as exciting as a new bathroom or boiler, so it is considered a stinky job?

I have watched a lot of YouTube videos, and soldering looks doable. I have used pushfit and compression fittings in another house, but this is all soldered, and I thought I should keep it that way.

Just need to make a decision on rads. I have large 1970s single panels, and I am thinking of replacing with similarly sized single convector panels (so I can have more heat, or to give me temperature/differential options in future).

Are the rads in Wickes any good? I like the idea that I can inspect it before I buy it!

never used them ,think wickes are expensive for most stuff so don't go in there . B & Q. do kudox rads and I stick to them. and like you I want to see and pick what I want and take them with me. getting heavy rads delivered has resulted in me getting damaged ones once or twice from screw fix in the past ,so I changed tactics !

And yes, connecting up practice pieces to mains water pressure to test seems a good idea to me.

Caution if you have trapped air in the pipe work and a joint fails. An end cap blown off by compressed air and hitting someone will do more damage than if it was blown off by water under the same pressure.

Caution if you have trapped air in the pipe work and a joint fails. An end cap blown off by compressed air and hitting someone will do more damage than if it was blown off by water under the same pressure.
Yeah & don't cross the road, you may get hit by a Bus!!

We use compressed air all the time for testing.

I will have a look in B&Q, thanks. I usually prefer Wickes as it is less full of people looking at cushions and wallpaper, and it is quicker to get in and out of their car park! I might check out plumbase as drive past one on the way to work.

I think I will start small and see how I get on replacing a rad in one room first (and moving position). The old one is a 1970s myson single panel about 180mm long and 600mm high. I am planning to replace with a modern single panel convector. It is on 8mm microbore too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back