Getting the right toilet pan connector?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a total newbie in this - sorry if it's really basic.

We've just had some tilers put tiles on our bathroom floor. They also put in a new toilet at the same time. But the guy told me that the existing pan connector was not tall enough to reach down properly (40mm) into the pipe below, so he had to buy a new one.

pan-connector.jpg

The new one seems to be a bit deeper than the old one, and hence the (new) toilet does not go back tight to the wall. We have an annoying gap with a piece of wood in there.

Should I just be able to buy a different pan connector, the same depth as the original one, but a few cm taller? Is there another valid reason he's put it in this way?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You can certainly get tighter bends than that one - Toolstation 20672 for example.
If thats not enough, swan neck ones are available too - 23824.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I think the problem may be that the drop on the connector needs to be at least 320mm. Most of the ones I've looked at are about 300mm. Often hard to see sizes from the internet.

Went to Toolstation and the guy there suggested a flexible connector, would that be just as good?

Straight connector between old bend and old socket to extend it.
[/url]http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=318241

Good question. But I think he thought he'd finished. The other guy was tiling, and this guy was just putting toilet back in, trimming doors, etc. Anyway, think I'm going to ask him to re-do it.

Does anyone know if those flexible pan connectors are OK? Seems like one of those would work.

Went to Toolstation and the guy there suggested a flexible connector, would that be just as good?[/quote]

Sorry, but it always makes me laugh when you read about people taking advice from the counter rats in places like Toolstation, Screwfix etc etc.
I recall standing in a Q in Screwfix & listening to this guy asking advice from a kid behind the counter on a GAS SERVICE PIPE & METER!!!........................ :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sorry, but it always makes me laugh when you read about people taking advice from the counter rats in places like Toolstation, Screwfix etc etc.

That's exactly why I was asking for confirmation of that advice on here. Hopefully someone here will be a bit more knowledgeable and let me know.

Multikwik MKBAR90.
Both ends can be cut to fit.
MKBAR90.jpg

These are great mate, go to their web site for sizes. It's a bit strange how a standard bent wc con will not be long enough. Is the outlet on the WC a standard 180-190mm from the finished floor.

Straight connector between old bend and old socket to extend it.
[/url]http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=318241

you beat me to it, thats the easy solution

Workman came back. He says he's tried those various types of connector and they don't fit. Because they are either too deep (would hit the wall behind) or not deep enough (not purchase on the outlet from the toilet). He says the outlet pipe on the toilet is deeper than the old one, which is why the old connector won't fit.

Bit annoying. But I guess without actually having all the connectors there to hold up in front of it, there's no way to really know for sure. Looks like we'll be making a little wooden frame to go behind the cistern and painting it white instead.

For 'workman' read cowboy!
I've just looked at your picture again and noticed that bl**dy-great gap at the back of the cistern.

I've no idea what that pan conn is that he's used but the socket end is just toooo long. The MKBAR90 as I suggested previously or a McAlpine ConQ would be much more suitable.

And, with either of those, he'd have been able to fit the cistern properly, without that wooden batten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back