Gillette blades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With these, I struggle - I just cannot make any sense from the range of blades Gillette sell. Does anyone know of a website which compares the different blades, and explains the differences please?

I'm used to, seem to get on fine with a blade which is 5 blade, black and blue, which claims to have a special single blade, to catch the whiskers just under the nose, it also claims to have a some sort of lubricating strip, next to it is a silver coloured strip[1]. The blade clips in place, ejected by a button on the razor, which pops a pin out, to release the blade.

Similar varieties I have seen are blue and black, with an orange metal [1], blank and orange ones, and possibly others.. What's the difference?

Sponsored Links
I heard somewhere that the same factory makes razors for supermarket own-brands, but deliberately makes them inferior and incompatible fit so people will pay extra for the big name.

I buy Wilkinson brand, and have a photo of the package on my phone so I can pick up the same one.

Here you are

I’ve gone off of 5 blade razors - I find them too large and cumbersome. I’ve recently gone back to Mach 3 Turbo but I don’t know what the actual turbo part refers to.

Sponsored Links
I've always been told Gillette are the best a man can get.

Reactions: CBW
I’ve gone off of 5 blade razors - I find them too large and cumbersome. I’ve recently gone back to Mach 3 Turbo but I don’t know what the actual turbo part refers to.

They couldn't fit a 6 Litre lump in so they put a Turbo on it.

With these, I struggle - I just cannot make any sense from the range of blades Gillette sell. Does anyone know of a website which compares the different blades, and explains the differences please?

I'm used to, seem to get on fine with a blade which is 5 blade, black and blue, which claims to have a special single blade, to catch the whiskers just under the nose, it also claims to have a some sort of lubricating strip, next to it is a silver coloured strip[1]. The blade clips in place, ejected by a button on the razor, which pops a pin out, to release the blade.

Similar varieties I have seen are blue and black, with an orange metal [1], blank and orange ones, and possibly others.. What's the difference?
What they have in common is the rip off price.

Buy a £15 adjustable DE razor. Back it right off so on a low setting (1) and I never cut myself. Cost pennies per shave and with a single blade you don't get razor burn...
All you do then is find a blade you like. I like Astra blades but the feather blades are the sharpest.
Wilkinson sword blades are good as well.

Don't start with a £15 non adjustable DE blade imo. You need the safety of a adjustable DE with a low setting

DE adjustable safety razor, with Derby blades.

£70 for the razor.
£7 for 100 blades.
£10 for the cream.
£20(?) for the brush.

Razor will outlive me, as likely will the brush.
Being profligate then, less than £20 p.a. for the blades and cream.

20240327_091128.jpg20240327_091143.jpg20240327_091228.jpg
I've been using Aldi blades lately. My daughter gave me the Bulldog razor saying her partner uses one and it's great. On examination, I discovered that the blades are identical, the fitting is slightly different but if you remove the little plastic intermediate piece from the Aldi one, they are interchangeable and the Aldi blade is half the price of the Bulldog.

I heard somewhere that the same factory makes razors for supermarket own-brands, but deliberately makes them inferior and incompatible fit so people will pay extra for the big name.

I buy Wilkinson brand, and have a photo of the package on my phone so I can pick up the same one.
Not true. Both Gillette and Wilkinson sword make their own blades in their own factories.

But do their factories also make own-brands.
No, they only make their own products. Their production lines are built to make their own products and not anyone else's.

There are razor blade factories that make blades for a variety of different brands, but not Wilkinson sword or Gillette.

Edit: I'm referring to cartridge razor blades. I know Wilkinson Sword make their own double edged blades. I don't know if Gillette still make all of their own. There are double edge blade factories that manufacturer for a variety of brands.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back