Giving up home phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
chaps

looking to cut costs we have been looking at all our outgoings. My wife suddenly said "Well we don't need a home phone anymore as we all use mobiles"

Anyone here considered and gone ahead and have the home landline removed?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If you're with BT you may want to look at another company. We were paying £25 p.m for phone with BT, and nearly £15 p.m. for broadband with Tiscali/Talk Talk.

We now get both with Plusnet for £25 p.m. inc. line rental. Very happy with their service. You can save money without necessarily losing your landline. As said, you need the line for your pc if you use it at home.

you will need land line for your broadband, assuming you have it at home.
Not necessarily, Some years ago, I had a cable modem installed from NTL (now VirginMedia) We didn't have a phone line with them, but did have TV. I had enquired about broadband and was told that I needed the phone, so I told them to come back to me when they could offer cable broadband. About 5 or 6 months later they sent me a letter saying they could now offer cable broadband (without the need for a phone package) I signed up the same day.
Now, (having moved house) I do indeed have a TV/ Broadband and house phone package from them . I get free phone calls to UK landline numbers after 7:00pm and all weekend. Probably use my mobile for texts more than calls.

Hi Matey,

We are with Virgin media, we phoned them up to have it stopped because of the damn none stop telephone sales everyday for years and we only use mobiles like what your thinking, virgin managed to give us a cheaper contract for being with them for a few years and they said keep the line open but just unplug the phone just incase you need it maybe thats an option for you ;)

I don't know about all my customers but a great deal of the older ones are reassured by the fact that i have a land-line and has been the same number since i started in business.

I have also had the same (and only) mobile number and provider for the last 15+ years.

Hi Matey,

We are with Virgin media, we phoned them up to have it stopped because of the damn none stop telephone sales everyday for years and we only use mobiles like what your thinking, virgin managed to give us a cheaper contract for being with them for a few years and they said keep the line open but just unplug the phone just incase you need it maybe thats an option for you ;)

I've been with Virgin for years with a package deal...never use the phone except when I have to phone them with a fault,and asked for it to be disconnected.They told me it would reduce my bill by just £3 so didn't bother.The only calls I get are from pest callers.

I'll give it a try for a discount like you have...

noseall said:
I don't know about all my customers but a great deal of the older ones are reassured by the fact that i have a land-line and has been the same number since i started in business.

R.bartlett, I don't know if you use your land line for business calls but, if you do, noseall is right. I'm reluctant to deal with anybody who can't give me a landline number. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: Apart from the cost of calls, the standard advice from Watchdog is to avoid traders whose address (if any) is a PO box and whose only number is a mobile.

Sponsored Links
Back