Glass reinforced plastic roofs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anybody can give me so advice on GRP roofs.

We are building an extension covering an area approx 6x3.5 meters and considering all options for the roof. Our budget is swaying us towards a flat roof but keep hearing how they don't last too long before leaking. I've been told that GRP roofs are more durable and will last longer. Does anybody have any experience having this type of roof fitted? Is it better than the traditional flat roof?
I did read that this style of roof is prone to loud creaking, has anybody come across that?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
google cfsnet. they are down your way in Redruth and were friendly enough to give me all the info I needed over the phone.

We are building an extension covering an area approx 6x3.5 meters and considering all options for the roof. Our budget is swaying us towards a flat roof but keep hearing how they don't last too long before leaking. I've been told that GRP roofs are more durable and will last longer. Does anybody have any experience having this type of roof fitted? Is it better than the traditional flat roof?
I did read that this style of roof is prone to loud creaking, has anybody come across that?
Thanks

yes they do creak a little and can crack. I know i'm a little biased but EPDM rubber is my choice. It's all in one piece and because its always soft and flexible, it won't creak or crack.

not a good idea..they have dreadfull thermal movement...

Sponsored Links

Thanks
too many bad roofers give them a bad name..ime still checking my work i did over 30 years ago on a yearly inspection programe and have not had to fix any..must be a proper flat roofer and use the best materials available,(pollyester based felts) and lets try put the faith back into a flat roof where it belongs:cool:

The trouble with grp and epdm is people go on these 2 day courses and then think they are capable of doing the job.Its not that simple you need a back round in roofing.That said felt is tried and tested and if done right will last many many years.I recently replaced a grp factory roof.It was only 4 years old.The firm that done it are painters and decorators that sent a couple of their lads on one of these courses and are now doing grp roofing.The job was a disgrace,they had nailed 18mm stirling borads directly into wood woll slabs,not only this they had put all the lead flashing in,in 6 meter lengths.Needless to say the job was leaking badly.I remember in the mid to late 90s pollyroof(fibrleglass) was all the rage but you hardly ever see it these days?

Just my bit,I'm no expert but my next door neighbour has just had a extension with a glass fibre roof about 4 months old and it's lifting in large blisters all over the place.
The supplier just screwed batons on top and glassed over the top of them, he is not a happy bunny.

I have a flat roof area covering a single garage, an entrance hall and a room approx 4 metres square. I had this recovered in EPDM (about 2mm thick rubber with a felty backing). It was glued to the OSB decking across the whole area and done by a local reputable company.
This was about 10 years ago. It still looks as good as the day it was done. It is guaranteed for 25 years and I was told it was expected to last at least 40 years but they couldn't be sure as it hadn't been around that long. It certainly gives the impression that it will last.
It replaced the previously felted roof, also fitted by a reputable local company, which had just about lasted 13 years and was splitting at the edges and attracted the local cat population.

i'm still checking my work i did over 30 years ago on a yearly inspection programe

Blimmin' ell mate, we've only been going ten years and if I had to do a 12 month inspection on every job, i'd have to employ at least two more staff! :eek:

30 years?? That's a lot of inspections :D

But that inspection programme sounds like a nice earner - and good for custards relations too :idea: . Worked well for a drain cleaning guy I know ;)

yea only 1 in 10 jobs want the yearly inspection and it takes no extra staff as your driving past these homes every day going other places so no big deal..reason being
1..still keep the customer for future works
2..still keep the customer for future recomdations to family,friends
3..breeds confidence that your still trading
4..solar paint needs redoing every 3 years to keep its reflective active and this is a nice earner
5..your catchment area becomes like a matrix with other jobs simply starting from the "mother job"
do not ask what i charge or what the format is as ime not telling you as ive told too much now ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back