Glass Splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've aquired a piece of frosted glass which we hope to use as splashback above the unit, behind the sink in our kitchen. It is not particularly heavy but wondered if anyone has any tips for fixing it to the wall. Obviously it will have to be sealed along the bottom edge but is sealant strong enough to fix it to the wall? And if it is, even using clear sealant, will this be visible and look odd through the glass?

Anyone got any tips on ingenious methods of getting it stuck to the wall?

Sponsored Links
Is the glass toughened? If not, it might not be legal.
However, if not, you could always drill it, very carefully...
Or use mirror brackets - you know, U shaped bracket/clip (one leg longer, that screws into wall, mirror drops into it. Same thing at top, but not quite tight, so you can lift it to put mirror in, then push it down to hold it.
3M do some awesome double sided tapes too, but getting just a little bit might not be easy.

Wasn't aware there was legislation covering worktop splash-backs!!! I have no idea whether it is toughened or not, its actually a piece of frosted glass our of a cupboard/cabinet door so i suppose there is a chance it may be toughened?

I had considered the mirror 'clips' you describe, think that might be the way to go.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
I was being a little flippant.
If it's fairly new there should be a stamp in one of the corners to show it's toughened.
But there are people in my house who'd quite stupidly jam something behind the taps, like a board, or tray, or grillpan, then jam something else in etc etc, and then casually mention "there seems to be a crack in the glass...."
Are you sure it's a good idea?
What about a nice bit of stainless?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back