Glass wetroom panels: best fixing method

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for advice on how to fix two 6mm toughened, backpainted glass panels to a Marmox board substrate. The first picture shows the current state of the installation. The second picture is a computer generated visualisation of how its intended to look. I'd like to have the glass flush with the surrounding 9mm 300x600 porcelain tiles.
My thoughts are:
1. Dot and dab with some sort of construction adhesive pushing in until flush with tiles.
---My reservation is that the air pockets behind the glass, between the adhesive, will be breeding ground for mould
Or
2. Use the same adhesive that I plan on using for the tiles with a continuous bed of adhesive over the back of the glass panels. Is that the right thing to do?

Any thoughts appreciated
IMG_5023.jpg bathroom_layout_v27_cabinet_Default_Pass.0001.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5023.jpg
    IMG_5023.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 175
  • bathroom_layout_v27_cabinet_Default_Pass.0001.jpg
    bathroom_layout_v27_cabinet_Default_Pass.0001.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 180
Sponsored Links
What method do the glass panel manufacturers recommend?

Talk to their technical department.

Sponsored Links
Where is your joint tape? Self-Adhesive Waterproof tape in wet areas aswell.

Adhesive really depends what the glass panels actually are, especially if the rear surface is different.

Some to consider:
  • Mapei Kerapoxy Adhesive (Good for very wet areas, difficult to clean as it is 2 part epoxy)
  • Mapei Adesilex P10 (dry areas / moderate wet)(designed for the installation of glass, but needs to be 1:1 with Mapei Isoelastic to make it flexible and suitable for fixing glass)
  • BAL Mosaic-Fix Tile adhesive (designed for Tesserae)
Because its glass be careful of the expansion gaps required.

You will need to be very careful when grouting. Use a soft sponge (instead of the usual hard one). Avoid as much surface contact with the glass as you can. Maybe even consider using Mapei Keracolour SF or FF grouts that have finer particles that wont scratch the glass as easily.

Last edited:
Where is your joint tape? Self-Adhesive Waterproof tape in wet areas aswell.

You can treat it as a tile, but it really depends what the glass panels actually are, especially if the rear surface is different.

General glass use tile adhesives:
  • Mapei Kerapoxy Adhesive (Good for very wet areas, difficult to clean as it is 2 part epoxy)
  • Mapei Adesilex P10 (dry areas / moderate wet)(designed for the installation of glass, but needs to be 1:1 with Mapei Isoelastic to make it flexible and suitable for fixing glass)
  • BAL Mosaic-Fix Tile adhesive (designed for Tesserae)
Because its glass be careful of the expansion gaps required.

You will need to be very careful when grouting. Use a soft sponge (instead of the usual hard one). Avoid as much surface contact with the glass as you can. Maybe even consider using Mapei Keracolour SF or FF grouts that have finer particles that wont scratch the glass as easily.

Thanks for the tips. I will look in to your suggestions. Yes, scrim tape over joints and tanking yet to be done.

Grouting?
Glass panels are normally edge to edge and corners use silicone?

I thought tile was running flush into glass on one edge on the above pic, so will depend on the project for silicone, trim or grout.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the comments. Various ideas from this and other forums and I think I am plumping for glass bonded to primed backer board with dot and dabbed silicone with the flush junction with all tiles as a 5mm silicone joint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back