Glazing an existing flat felt covered roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been trawling about the 'net looking for an answer. All it is, is that the house we bought two years ago, has had an extension put on that runs alongside the kitchen.
Its joined as in there is no doorway, its all part of the 'same room' if you like. I would like to replace the existing crappy and now leaking felt/hardboard roof with a glazed one......keeping the same profile. Meaning its only going to be occuping the same space pitch etc and so on as the roof there now. It won't be visible from the outside at ground level, same as what is there at the mo, will I need planning permission for this, or just make sure whatever work is done it complies with building regs etc.

Many thanks for any help or info anyone can offer up.

Sponsored Links
No need for p.p. but you may struggle to satisfy building reg's especially part L.

Thank you so much for that!! I'll have a look at part L, I think I know where to find it now? Is it ok to check back and ask a couple more questions if I'm struggling??

Many, many thanks so far, I really appreciate it!

Ahhh, ok found it, its about heating and energy loss. Ok from that I will ask if specially rated glass etc will conform and be ok before we procedd with the proposed amount of glass we want...or we may have to reduce the amount of glass to tie in with section L's requirements.

Thanks ever so much for the info and pointing me in the right direction!

Sponsored Links
One of the 'rules' states that glazing to any room must not exceed more than 20% of the floor area.

There are ways around this by beefing up insulation to other parts of the room. But if you already have a window or glazed doors to this space then you may struggle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back