Glow Worm 100e combi problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks!

Just to let you know, I am not a heating/plumbing engineer, merely your average Joe with a boiler problem. However, I have been an IT engineer for nearly 20 years and I'm very handy on the electronics side of things (have a decent multimeter and good at diagnosing electronic faults and soldering).

Now with that out of the way, I'll explain the fault:

Ok, I have the above model boiler and about 3 weeks ago, it started behaving 'strangely'. First, the red light would keep coming on and I would lose all hot water (CH or DHW). After resetting it each time, the boiler would work ok again.. for a bit.

Eventually, it got worse and then one day, I could hear what sounded suspiciously like electronic relays actually buzzing behind the panel (am familiar with this sound) and the top green light flickering (for the hot water only) at the same time. As this happened, the boiler would get hot then cold then overheat and then OH cut-out would kick in.

So, I opened up the boiler and checked the pcb and discovered a black area. So I completely removed the pcb and discovered that the board was totally black due to over-heating of a zener diode and surrounding resistors - and underneath, major dry solder joints as a result of this.

So I immediately (and foolishly, as you'll find out in a minute) jumped to the conclusion that this was causing the problems. So I ordered a brand new pcb kit (new Honeywell pcb and thermistor) from ebay for only 89 quid, which I thought was a bargain!

You guessed it.. fitted the new pcb only to discover that the boiler is playing up exactly the same as before!! Relays buzzing and not switching properly between CH and DWH modes. So the old pcb, while on it's last legs, was probably just about working ok.. although at a guess would have totally failed inside 6 months, either due to those components overheating and failing or the solder joints becoming completely dry/open circuit.

So, decided to have a bit more of a gander and discovered a hell of a lot of corrosion on the DHW micro switch. After reading quite a few threads on this very forum, it appears that the diaphragm is prone to failure on these and needs to be replaced every 3 years.

It very much looks like that is what has failed and has leaked water all over the switch and corroded it pretty badly to be honest; like a kinda crystalline white material that goes right up the switch body (but not to the spade connectors). Would this cause the weird symptoms I described id this part had failed? And can it be replaced easily?

Many thanks,

Paul.

Sponsored Links
you don't get any hot water or heating now?

when you try a demand is the pump/fan running?

It's hard to describe, but essentially the ignitor clicks on as soon as I turn the boiler on and it starts to heat the water.

Basically, the default light which comes on is the bottom green light which is CH and DHW combined. So I initially thought i'd cured it with the new pcb, but then the relays on the pcb click (furiously, as if bordering between on/off) and the boiler gets confused between just combi mode or just DHW only mode at which point the DHW only led flickers. If I do switch it across to DHW only mode, not much really happens - it carries on clicking and then the hot water gets too hot and OH protection cuts in. All of this without even turning on a HW tap btw.

Would a DHW micro switch failure cause all this? There really is a monumental amount of corrosion around it.

when you have hot water from a tap, does the boiler overheat too and lockout?

Sponsored Links
Poxy thing!

It's doing weird things now...

Right, if I leave it off for a while (say 2 hours) and then fire it up, the burner comes on immediately, whether a HW tap is on or not and whether I switch it to either mode (CH or DHW) or not. I hear the water get hotter and hotter (at this point I tend to stand back a bit) and then it cuts out and the flames go off.

After that, the burner will not come back on for ages. All I can hear is the water pump running constantly, whether on CH or DHW mode and it does little else no matter what I do, and certainly no hot water of any kind.

You can't just replace the pcb...burner pressures require checking and setting so you may have ccompromised the safety of the boiler.

How do you know that ebay pcb is anygood?

Disconnect the connector on the wiring loom to the DHW switch. Does the boiler now function ok for heating?

Replacement of the DHW diaphragm, brass cover and switch is a routine task on these boilers. Waterlogged switches due to a failed pin gland seal is common.

You can't just replace the pcb...burner pressures require checking and setting so you may have ccompromised the safety of the boiler.

How do you know that ebay pcb is anygood?

Disconnect the connector on the wiring loom to the DHW switch. Does the boiler now function ok for heating?

Replacement of the DHW diaphragm, brass cover and switch is a routine task on these boilers. Waterlogged switches due to a failed pin gland seal is common.

Hi Gasguru, thanks for the reply. Truth is, I don't know for absolutely definite that pcb is any good, but it was sealed in an anti-static bag and hadn't been opened. It came in the original box as a kit with the thermistor and looks new to the naked eye.. but I had to take a chance on it as funds are pretty limited at the moment.

I'll try disconnecting the switch and report back.

You Sir are a genius!

I disconnected the DHW flow micro switch and the CH works perfectly. Radiators heating up nicely, no overheating and no cutting out (although one of the relays seems to be objecting to the switch 'missing' and is clicking away frantically - but in much more of a rhythm like it's trying to switch something that isn't there as opposed to when it's connected the relays are buzzing frenetically/intermittently..)

So does that mean it really is a duff DHW flow switch? If so, is it a part that one can change oneself or will I need an engineer to do it? Will tonnes of water come spewing out if I try to do it myself?

Finally, if you have a part number that'd be fantastic (assuming it's DIY-a-ble of course).

Thanks again! :D

There's still another fault if the relays are clicking away....

Do a search...the part numbers for the DHW parts have been posted several times...abourt £30 in all. Just isolate the cold feed...easy job but you'll need torx bits.

how would a dhw flow switch cause the central heating to cause a boiler overheat?!

how would a dhw flow switch cause the central heating to cause a boiler overheat?!

I'm starting to wonder if there are in fact several faults with this thing.

I'm gonna do the switch next since it is a known problem and has never been replaced (and is severely corroded) and it's a cheap part and will just go from there.

No idea why it does that, but it is what it is! When I disconnect the switch, the central heating works fine... but I'm apprehensive about it just being the switch.

I'll report back when I've changed the part, which I think I've now located online (Glowworm Compact Series DHW Flow Microswitch S801199).

To make matters worse, the flipping dishwasher packed up last week as well... :cry:

I don't, there are multiple faults. Unfortunately for you, this is not a diy job as replacing the pcb require safety critical work to be done as GG said before.
What you can do your self, is replace those parts that look like they are leaking and switches that have been wet. After that, you should get a RGI to check it all.

I don't, there are multiple faults. Unfortunately for you, this is not a diy job as replacing the pcb require safety critical work to be done as GG said before.
What you can do your self, is replace those parts that look like they are leaking and switches that have been wet. After that, you should get a RGI to check it all.

The irony is that I DID call someone out initially, as my landlord agreed to pay for the repairs. However the bloke that turned up was absolutely ****e. He stood there pressing the 2 buttons, scratching his head and then asked to borrow MY screwdriver. After 10 minutes of pressing buttons he turned round and said I need a new boiler at a cost of 1200 quid - without doing ANY proper diagnosing of any kind. Didn't check the pcb, didn't comment on the leaking switch, nothing.

So you can see my disgust at yet another charlatan cowboy giving you good guys a bad name. Is it any wonder I have attempted the repairs myself? It's not the first time either and I'm rather sick to death of taking a punt on these so-called experts. Did you see Watchdog this week? You wonder why I'm paranoid about calling someone else out!!

If any of you fellas can recommend someone competent and trustworthy in the Herts. area, then I'm all ears, because the whole episode is doing my head in, not to mention I'm starting to pong a bit from bad hygiene!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back