Glow Worm 24ci - was losing pressure - now has no pressure..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Glow Worm 24ci Combi boiler with a digital pressure gauge on the front. Last night my bird discovered it was reading only 0.6 bars and it states on the housing that i requires at least 0.7 to operate. There is even an annoying fault light that has not only come on but is flashing too.

Here's what I tried:-

1 - twiddle the knob underneath the boiler which is supposed to repressurise - It didn't

2- bleed all radiators - starting from the bottom of the house working up to the lads loft conversion - nothing until i got to the loft and then air could be heard hissing for at least 30 seconds maybe a minute.

3 - looked at gauge - it said 0.3 bar.

4 - turned it all off and went to bed ( to late for romance apparently)

5 - woke up this morning turned it on had a look at it again and gauge is now flipping between 0.0 bar and 0.3 bar

Is by boiler dead then? and how long does it actually take to repressurize - no water is heard rushing in when I open the filling loop...

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
tells you how on the instructions

http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/manuals/pdf/cxi_manual.pdf[/QUOTE]

OK, at the risk of sounding like a dum dum, is this the same as the booklet that came with the boiler "Instructions for Use - Installation and servicing"? if so, I have said book and it is very informative... I cannot access the afore mentioned link - I don't have permission?!

Since my original post, I have discovered a pipe coming from the boiler and straight through the bricks and outside. i'm told that when opening the filling device to repressurize the system, and if the pressure does not rise, then it's probably spewing out of there because of a safety valve or something, and if not, then I probably have a leak cos it must be going somewhere...

I've checked around all of the radiators and a lot of the pipes that are cased in trunking around the house and assume that any pipes that are under the floor boards would cause it to rain in the living room... I have found no evidence of a leak as yet...

any further advice would be muchly appreciated...
Thanks

Sponsored Links
On this model it has a built in filling loop with a blue cylindrical tap on the lower RH side of the boiler to fill. BUT.....If you do not hear water flowing into the boiler when you open the tap its because the valve seating at the top of the blue filling loop tap is stuck shut. Its very common I'm afraid.

The cure is simple, but if you've never done it before you need to be careful.

1) Switch boiler off at the mains spur. Remove white boiler front (2 star screws)
2) Shut off cold water supply to boiler. I'd use the house stop tap, and not the isolator under the boiler. Some fitters install a secondary in line ball valve..either way you have to cut off the water supply to the boiler. Open hot tap somewhere to make sure supply is cut off.
3) Have bucket under boiler and plenty of paper towel. You shouldn't need it, but you can use it to protect electronics from spillage

4)Hinge down control panel to reveal blue filling loop tap. This is held in by two stainless slide in clips into black plastic housing. One on top holding copper tube, and the other going into the boiler. You need both out, but observe carefully how they fit before removing. Remove inner clip and pull tap unit out towards you, then remove clip from copper tube next. Look into tap where copper tube has come out, Open tap fully then prod the little valve gently with a small screw driver from the top. This will release it. Reassemble in reverse. MAKING SURE YOU GET STAINLESS CLIPS IN PROPERLY AND THAT TAP UNIT AND COPPER TUBE ARE PUSHED WELL HOME. If not you get a soaking when you restore water supply..hence bucket and paper towel.

When turning stop tap back on its best to have a helper watching the boiler in case you've got a leak. They can tell you to switch off pronto if you havn't got the clips back in quite right.

Once you can refill to 1 bar, then check the blow off tube outside for leaks.

The red flashing light is the lockout warning. Once you have repressurised to 1 bar then you can clear the fault memory by turning the boiler off on the front boiler switch. Count to five then turn it back on and you should get a solid green light. If you ever get lock-outs the boiler will display an "F" number F1 to F9..depending on fault. Keep a note of these F numbers before you reset boiler. They can be a help to a CORGI in diagnosing faults as long as you have the manual
Phew!

Alfredo

I was able to access the PDF file without permission but perhaps thats because my picture is on the home page?

The PDF is for the CXI whereas he says his is a CI which I presume is the earlier non condensing boiler with a conventional burner.

I wonder why people are so keen to bleed radiators. It usually just makes problems. I had two callers today who had failed their boilers by bleeding the rads.

Tony

Agile said:
I was able to access the PDF file without permission but perhaps thats because my picture is on the home page?
Tony

are you the rather dashing bloke fighting the flexcon on the front??

if so i reckon the cat walk is calling???

" Sounds like you've done a few "

I see the ruddy things in my sleep. On this contract we install glow worm exclusively on the gas side..since 2001, so I do get to see the odd one now and again, and again, and again (pass the whisky someone) :rolleyes: :LOL:

Alfredo

I think its a Glow-worm 24 ci in the picture!!!

I dont think any cat walk is calling me.

Even Morris Miller ( The good looking Plumber ) from the IPHE web site was passed over by the older and more experienced "Woody" when they wanted a plumber to go to Sri Lanka for some TV stunt show reconnecting their plumbing, was it non-celebs in the jungle?

Tony

Agile said:
In that case my picture must on the home page also. Or am I just showing off. :confused:

I wonder why people are so keen to bleed radiators.
Do you really have that poor an understanding of the people who provide you with an income?

The answer is obvious: it's because they can - there's little else they can do without a lot of knowledge.

Agile said:
I think its a Glow-worm 24 ci in the picture!!!

I dont think any cat walk is calling me.

Even Morris Miller ( The good looking Plumber ) from the IPHE web site was passed over by the older and more experienced "Woody" when they wanted a plumber to go to Sri Lanka for some TV stunt show reconnecting their plumbing, was it non-celebs in the jungle?

Tony

I know I saw it (being a member meself sort of thing ;) )

and forgive me for getting the boiler wrong sheesh you aint half a task master mr agile ;)

As for you soft I thought you had an exclusivity contract with "for her" mag ;)

LMAO

corgiman said:
I thought you had an exclusivity contract with "for her" mag ;)
We're still in talks actually, but I've heard on the grapevine that I'm to be Mr July in the "Spank My Whip" 2008 calendar.

Cheers very muchly guys, especially Alfredo! What a guy - if only I were gay...

Boiler fixed - was the stupid filler valve - think the little thing inside may actually be broken - but her in front of the tv doesn't care about that - she's nice and warm now... Perhaps she might unwrap our little girl from her 200 layers now. She didn't even bing me a beer - unlike me if any of you heroes are ever in crewe - it's my round!

Cheers again!

Softus said:
corgiman said:
I thought you had an exclusivity contract with "for her" mag ;)
We're still in talks actually, but I've heard on the grapevine that I'm to be Mr July in the "Spank My Whip" 2008 calendar.

REALLY?

I thought Ws was doing that :):):)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back