Glow-worm Flexicom constant F11/F22/F25 errors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Apologies for any information/terminology that is wrong - all new to me!

We have an issue with a relatively young boiler install (5-6 years roughly). While it did run fine initially, it's almost always down now.

The install itself is a flexicom glow-worm 24hx boiler installed by BG which is downstairs. There is a thermostat (drayton basic) for the CH also downstairs.
Upstairs in the bathroom is a large cylinder (hot water) with a tank above it with water. There is a drayton LP programmer here too (to set the CH/Water timer etc)
Also connected to the cylinder is our current life-saver immersion heater.
And finally, in the loft is the main tank.

First few years, no issue, I think a pump burnt out but that was quickly replaced.
Last year or so it's not played ball at all.
There are a range of errors from F11, F22 and F25 on the boiler.
The boiler fires up for a few seconds, then the flame goes out with one of the above error messages.

Reset does the same as above but usually another error (so if F11 was first, then the next would be F25)

I can sometimes get around it by hitting the reset on the boiler, and then when it fires up (waits till the temp on the boiler drops to 23c) I hit reset about 2-3 seconds later.
This stays on for a bit but goes out as soon as it starts to get a little bit warmer in the house.

On top of this the radiators are also not warming up (when it does fire up)
Upstairs: Only the bathroom one warms up (top half) and this is closest to the hot water cylinder.
The rest upstairs (3 bedrooms) are stone cold.

Downstairs: The kitchen heater (directly under the bathroom and in the same room as the boiler) warms up very slightly but again, rest of the downstairs is stone cold (living room + bedroom)

To put a twist on things, while it was bad beginning of the year when it was cold/snowy/rainy, during the hotter months (last 2-3 months) it has been working fine in terms of firing up the boiler and heating the water + the working radiators slightly.
The radiator problems still were present but at-least it heated the few that it did. Water was also no way heated enough so we still needed the immersion. (not something that occurred when the install was first done)

I seem to notice that everytime the temp drops outside and it rains like it did yesterday, the boiler stops firing completely as per above.

What we have done:
BG replaced the pump
All radiators have been bled
BG checked the bleed nut near the pump
Checked water in the tank above the cylinder which is fine
BG checked with a magnet for gunk but found none

What BG have said quite typically is we need a powerflush before they go any further. Currently paying their £18 a month service which is going wasted if the issue is not in the flush

What do you think?

Thanks in advanced - ps: we're in NW London so unsure if anyone known on here + certified can have a look?

Sponsored Links
It certainly sounds as if it is sludged up.

But why is another matter as BG should have properly cleaned the system when fitting the boiler.

Usually caused by filling valve being left open though which is not BG's fault but the user.

BG's monthly plan does not include issues caused by dirt in a system.

BG charge about £700 for power flushing but an independent will do it for about half of them!

Many just flush the rads but in your case the boiler needs treating too!

Tony

Thanks Tony
I was hoping you'd reply!

I guess the next question is, is this something you can carry out? I see you're not too far from me - apologies for the direct question but it's getting fairly difficult to find anyone to do it where they're reliable/trusted etc

As for the powerflush - couldn't tell you whether it was done at the time of install but I would have thought so given at the same time we had new rads installed all round too

Also, spot on with the quotation, it was indeed £700 or thereabouts for the flush

Sponsored Links
If you wanted me to come you need to contact me directly by text or call according to the contact details in my profile here.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back