Glow worm Ultimate 50FF not lighting, pcb problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
When I got back after Christmas my boiler failed to light, I could see the ignition sparking but no gas was coming through. An engineer came out and said that there was a fault with the board and that I would need a new one. One week later I have just had a phone call from him saying that I can't get hold of a new part and to recommend getting a new boiler altogether.
The boiler is 7 years old and he claims there are no other boards available anywhere.
How easy is it getting a spare part like this and can anyone recommend some place to order them from? Should I go ahead and get a new boiler?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
well I got some from Parts center the week before last

I have just had a look and they have not got any in stock anywhere and it comes up as a special.

So you can get them but it may take a while

:)

Most boiler spares have to be available for a minimum of 10 years after production ceases to get the infamous BG accreditation :eek:

Sponsored Links
There are two parts I would be checking before the PCB!

Did he suck breath in between his teeth and say its the PCB or did he do any tests on any other parts?

If you were close by I would offer to come out FREE to confirm that it really IS the PCB but subject to our diagnostic fee plus an extra £10 if it is something else !!!

Tony

He did spend about 10 mins testing it, he did suck on some pipe and said that the board was not allowing the gas through as it was not detecting it had lit or something.
If I were to get the board myself is it easy to fit? Is it a case of plugging in the cables or do I need to solder it in?
Tony:Anywhere near Leicester?

The PCB is reasonably easy to fit. BUT when a new PCB is fitted the boiler operation from a gas point of view should be checked and if necessary adjusted.

You CAN do it yourself but I have no reason to think the PCB is faulty and I still doubt that your installer has correctly diagnosed the fault. If he comes and changes it then I hope you would not be paying for it it if does not fix the fault!

Leicester is about 100 miles from London! "Near" in the context of me coming free to confirm the diagnosis was meant to be within 3-4 miles!!!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back