Glowworm 30 cxi losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just had a new heating system installed. It has replaced an old back boiler and hot water storage system. The new system is a combi using the Glowworm 30 cxi.

Some of the original pipework has been used, there are 8 rads in total, 5 brand new and 3 just a couple of years old. 7 of the rads have TRV and the other ordinary valve.

So now to the problem, I get the pressure up to 1.0 bar as recommended. Within an hour or so the pressure drops to as low as 0.3 so the boiler shuts down (at 0.7 bar). This happens regardless of whether the central heating is on or off. I have checked all visible pipework and valves for signs of leakage and cannot find any. I am going to lift the boards and check all pipework this afternoon, but wonder if you guys think there is anything else I should be looking at ?

BTW the system has only been in since Wednesday and the installer is "to busy" to come back and check!! So far anyway.

If there is any info I haven't given please feel free to ask.

Thank you

Phil

Sponsored Links
I don't think it is acceptable to leave a system with a leak, even if it might be in the original pipework.

Have you paid the installer? Was the installer Corgi registered? Did he complete the Benchmark record?

chrishutt said:
I don't think it is acceptable to leave a system with a leak, even if it might be in the original pipework.

Have you paid the installer? Was the installer Corgi registered? Did he complete the Benchmark record?

I agree, and the answers, yes, I believe so and no!!

given the information do you expect it to be a leak... I mean thats what I expect but could there be an issue at the boiler end.. I'm thinking so because the pressure drops without dh or ch being used?

thank you for the very prompt response

Check with Corgi to see if the installer is Corgi registered. If he is, threaten to call Corgi in if he doesn't turn up pronto to sort it, and if he isn't, threaten him with Trading Standards, HSE, etc.

Why did you choose an installer who is so irresponsible, and possibly not even Corgi registered? And why did you pay him in full straight away? Did he issue an invoice? Was it cash and mobile numbers only?

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris,

I appreciate your input here, the guy just lives around the corner, he came recommended from a good friend and to be honest I dont have any issue with as yet... ok I may have sounded negative with the "too busy" to come back quote, so I apologise for that.

The angle I'm coming from is that if I can find the leak (if there is a leak) it may save time for both myself and the plumber, but I posted here to get some ideas as to whether there could be something else I could look for or get ideas on to help identify the problem.

Again thank you

Phil

So why isn't the installer helping you out with this? I don't buy your story.

chrishutt said:
So why isn't the installer helping you out with this? I don't buy your story.

Nothing to sell, just a case of I'm not here when he could be etc.. as I said I appreciate what you've had to say.

If the advice is simply to get my installer back in then fine I'll wait... I'm just trying to get some ideas on things I can do to help for when he does get back...

Thank you

Get the npressure up to 1.5 bar then shut the cenral heating isolator valves ( both of them) where the central heating pipes go into the boiler , then wait if the pressure doesnt drop you then know the leak is somewhere on your system , if it does drop then the fault is in the boiler.

Go easy with that filling valve on this model.

Cheap, Nasty and always breaking!

When you get a problem with it just fit a normal filling loop

Thank you Tomy and slug,

I am trying what you suggested as I speak... I will post back with results later

Thank you again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back