Glowworm 30ci boiler dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My Glowworm 30ci boiler has failed and I'd appreciated any advice as no hot water or heating and my usual gas man is off on holiday.
Boiler fails to power up. Mains supply is fine and fuse on main pcb control board is fine. At switch ON there is a noise for a couple of seconds, perhaps a valve being driven and then nothing. The power ON LED doesn't light and the fault display never comes up, so no fault codes to work with.
It may be a coincidence but the boiler was serviced only a few days before problem. I've checked and reseated all connectors around the pcb but no joy. Is it possible during service something was not reconnected fully?
I suspect main pcb board but the part is too expensive to take a punt. Any suggestion on cause or method to multimeter test the main pcb would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't rush into a new pcb (though it could easily be). some times ancillary components will 'kill' the display and when disconnected it will re-appear. Try disconnecting thermistors and other ancills. Obviously kill power before fishing around. if not, probably the board.
May not be able to carry on thread, but good luck!

Boards die for fun, bet I have replaced 20+ of these over the years simply from isolating and re-establishing the power supply on a service.

With ollski, we have an estate with about 100, record so far, 4 in two weeks last year! have been caught out as above caution but no huge problem as board can stay in van.
Funnily enough, ordered one today, just remembered!!

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the input guys. It wasn't the pcb as I'd expected initially and bevelsingle's advice to first check the ancilliary sensors was sound.

Faulty item was the SYSTEM WATER PRESSURE SENSOR. If you disconnect this sensor the boiler powers up, the display returns and flashes an F9 - water pressure sensor fault. Replaced the sensor at £45 and all good to go. Much cheaper than a £170+ main pcb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back