Dead Icos after PCB Change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use an Ideal Icos HE24 for heating a Koi pond, recently the display died but the boiler continued to work fine.The fault was identified as a break in the circuit board where the purple wires connect. I obtained a second hand PCB (Black) which was installed but the boiler was dead. The old Black PCB was put back in but remains dead ie no test routine when power on etc. Power is to the board and the stat is calling. Given that the boiler was working fine before I,m puzzled as to what has gone wrong -Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
New PCB's I believe are orange and you have possibly got a dud.
Buy a new PcB, you know it makes sense.

Sponsored Links
New PCB's I believe are orange and you have possibly got a dud.
Buy a new PcB, you know it makes sense.
Don't mind buying a new Pcb if that's the fault, but it's odd that the old one was working (except for the Display) yet by taking it out and refitting it within minutes it's stopped working!

Have you put all the connecting plugs back in right.
If the old one was working all right it was probably the display board that was gone anyway.
The black ones were rubbish anyway, probably best to get a proper one like 45yrs said.

Have you put all the connecting plugs back in right.
If the old one was working all right it was probably the display board that was gone anyway.
The black ones were rubbish anyway, probably best to get a proper one like 45yrs said.
I had an electrician who has double checked all plugs and wiring is fine. The original fault was that at sometime a small leak has dripped onto the edge of the pcb and corroded one of the 4 terminals that connects the main pcb via the purple wiring to the display- the only reason I changed it was that if thd boiler did develop a fault no fault code would have been displayed- beginning to wish we hadn't changed it now !

he is not qualified to work on boilers get a gas engineer in he has not put the links in trust me
A Gas engineer visited and identified the fault,but due to lack of work is working away from home -but I take your point! The Electrician is a qualified electrician and did insert the links according to the Ideal instructions supplied with the PCB.

The purple lead and or main pcb and or the user control housing will be gubbed due to the water damage. Also where was the leak coming from possible hex damaged?

An electrician deal with mains power wiring.

A boiler is in a different field and that of electronics.

I dont know why you changed the main PCB. All you have said indicates that the problem lies with the back to back connector/plugs and just possibly the display PCB.

Water on the display connections can blow the main PCB as the circuit does not have overload protection. Saves manufacture costs and enables an expensive new PCB to be sold if there is any water leak from the strategically placed AAV just above the display !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back