Is my PCB gone??

My fixed price diagnostic fee is just that. Spare parts are extra except at Christmas.

How can anyone honest charge by the hour? If they are not much good and take four hours, what then?

What if it only takes 10 minutes do you then charge £12 abd head back into the traffis for the one hour dive home again, two hours and 2 minutes work for just £12 ?

Tony

what do you do then if for instance you drive 40mins there 40mins back
boiler works when you get there & your unable to find any fault? just say oh well never mind! i wont charge you!

Sponsored Links
Its my job to find the fault and I certainly would not charge if I cannot find any fault.

I dont expect your BG do either!

Tony

not my BG mate!!!

iv been to loads of call outs for bg for boiler not working got there turned the boiler on works fine rang customer back next day or a week later "still working ok she says" so how on earth if your self employed not get a bean for attending a call out. not our fault the boiler has started to work!!

If its genuinely was a real fault and not a tenant bellyaching then I can usually find the likely fault.

If I am fairly well convinced then I repair it and charge for it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If you charge a realistic fee for diagnosing /repairing a fault, this will more than make up for those times when it dosn't go quite so smoothly, any Service engineer that tells you "he never gets call backs" is Lying!!
I've just had to drive 2 1/2Hrs to a supermaket in Peterborough tighten up a screaming fan belt which I fitted Three Days earlier 1/2 hr job, and then drive 2 1/2 hrs home round trip of 250 miles 5-1/2 hrs in time - Whos paying for that ? - ME..!! just the way it goes sometimes but a good bit of business advice LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE it's the end of year figure that matters ;)

The OP will probably be on here telling us about a cheap FAN on E-bay in a day or two :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Whys that then?

The part arrived today, And yes its brand-new, with all packaging, instructions, screws etc. good bloody price. Well get some pics uploaded later to show you sceptics :- )

I also don’t get the logic with some people saying, “you should have got BG to sort that for you” Isn’t this a DIY forum?!!!

I’m an electrical/control and instrumentation designer, so diagnosing and changing the part isn’t what i would describe as technically challenging! Plus its hardly even time consuming. Plus you guys have help advise on parts etc.

Therefore £45 Vs £180. I’m sorry, it’s a no brainer! If one is capable, why on earth would you throw an additional 135 quid at BG?

because you are not qualified.! what would your house insurance say if your house went on fire, me thinks they would say pi*s off!! :LOL:

More to the point, in my experience 75% of failed PCBs on that model are as a result of another part failed. Even yours could have failed as a result of leaking water which has dried for the moment!

Replacing a PCB that had failed as a result of another failure is a quick way to lose a brand new PCB !

Tony

As I said you may well be looking for a fan in a few days as well as another PCB in my experience (but I'm only a Service engineer so what do I know?) the fan is quite often the cause of a cooked PCB :rolleyes:
whewn fault finding it is important to treat the cause of the fault and not the symptoms!! ;)

rather than trying to be a smart arse Boilerman2, why dont you eloborate on your fan comment. thats twice you've mentioned it, rather than sounding like a cocky git, why dont you share the wealth?! i dont pretend to know everything, so would be grateful for you advice.

Currently the fan is behaving, as per the manual describes...i can hear it! so why will i be looking for a fan in a couple of days?

Also, the problem was the blue transformer on the board. searching on google, i see loads of people with the same problem.

I also read that the the old grey and black boards were defective anyway, but the new orange board so far has been relatively reliable thus far.

Anyway, i have replaced the PCB, and so far all is working fine.

mate once major cuase of pcb on this model is aav leaks every so often and water and electronics don`t mix

What the nice gent is trying to say is your fan maybe the cause your pcb has failed (i think) it is always best to check the resistance of a fan before just changing the pcb.. ;)

cheers. that's the constructive tip i was looking for. today im doing something i should have done long time ago... taking out full boiler and heating cover with sse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back