Ideal ICOS PCB - Worrying!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Something very concerning has just come to my attention.

I replaced my PCB last month in my HE24 as some of you may remember after the original was fried! Turned out it was the internal blue transformer. Its worth mentioning that one of the first things I checked was the PCB fuse, which incidentally, hadn’t blown.

Anyway, Good news is, the replacement board I fitted is still working fine!

In light of my issues, I decided to take out BG boiler cover. They were out this morning inspecting and servicing our boiler. All is good and we are now covered.

HOWEVER! And this is the worrying part….The BG engineer said to my partner (I wasn’t there) that he has replaced the fuse in my PCB as it had been fitted with a 13A fuse! And it should only be 3A. I of course new that this should only be 3A, but never for one minute expected that the manufacture could be so careless! I still have the fuse I pulled from the old board, I will be checking its rating when I get home and will be on the phone to IDEAL if I find it too is a 13A fuse.

Anyone got anything to add to this?

Sponsored Links
I think you may find he is refering to the main supply fuse in the plug or switch spur not the pcb !!

Hmmm, will check

But Can’t see the logic of him doing that. A 3A fused spur will not discriminate with a 3A fused PCB should a fault occur.

almost certain to be the FS fuse. a 13 amp fuse wouldn't fit on the pcb.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, will check

But Can’t see the logic of him doing that. A 3A fused spur will not discriminate with a 3A fused PCB should a fault occur.

pcb is likely to be fused to 2A.

didn't he tell you that your boiler will explode with a 13amp fuse fitted? well thats what a BG guy in Southampton is telling people!! in that boiler it will not make any difference what is in the FCU as the 2amp PCB fuse will more than likely not blow either as the PCB will just die naturally

Shiite PCB in a Shiite Boiler made by a crap company

Well, I wish I was there when he serviced the boiler, as im still baffled as to why he changed that 13A fuse to a 3A. he even made the point of saying “its amazing how many times I’ve had to change that fuse in other houses”

As an electrical designer, that original 13A fuse makes perfect sense to me. The cable feeding the boiler, from the spur is sufficiently sized to carry 16A, therefore, Ib< In< Iz. Thus the 13A CPD was safe, and coordinated with the 3A PCB CPD, allowing the CPD closest to the potential fault to fail first.

What he’s done is completely shafted the coordination between the upstream and downstream CPDs. So if a fault occurs on that cable feeding the boiler, you really want the fused spur to break first, but in reality either one will go.

please tell me im not going insane!

Didn't your "NEW" PCB come from E-BAY?????? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thats correct....Still working Ok too might i add, so hold back on your "told you so's for just now" :cool:

i missunderstood what my partner was saying over the phone, it was the FCU fuse, not the PCB that he changed!

change it to 5A if it makes you feel any better.

nickso";p="1697974 said:
change it to 5A if it makes you feel any better.[/quote

The fuse in the fused spur should be 3 amp. 5 and 13 amp fuses are the wrong size.

kin electrics black magic mumbo jumbo, no one gives a toss>stick whatever you like in<maybe a nail will do, it's all connected to a rcd sfs cpd hadd, and still the voodoo comes out the end and magic white god heats water whoop whoop whoop whoop :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back