Ideal icos PCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a new house, just over 2yrs ago, with an Ideal icos boiler fitted for the heating and water. came in from a day out to find no power to the boiler. fuses checked ok, power to house checked ok. Sparky friend checked out the electrics and said that the PCB was the problem.

this question then came to me. How long should the PCB be lasting in a newly installer boiler and likewise what is a reasonable life expectancy for the PCB?.

can anyone help answer this?

Sponsored Links
You need to seperate your question into 2 parts:

a) How long should a pcb last in a boiler?

its reasonable to expect it to last a minimum of 4-5yrs and anything up to 15yrs.

b) How long should a pcb last in an Ideal Isar or Icos?
6 months - 2yrs about average.

Don't worry it will be something else next month.

its reasonable to expect it to last a minimum of 4-5yrs and anything up to 15yrs.

micky, thx for ur reply. any idea nas to why the ideal icos pcb's don't last as long as their counterparts in other boilers.
i'm about to start "fighting" with Ideal over this problem.

I don't know the specific reason they fail, early ones seemed to be related to the igntion/spark process, later ones just died completely with no power. All i can tell you is that the pcbs are horrendously unreliable. In fact not just the pcb, the whole boiler. You only have to search this forum for topics regarding isar, icos, mexico he, istor etc.. and tbh any condensing boiler Ideal have ever made. You will read countless tales of woe!
I feel for any poor soul who has one of their pieces of junk in their home.

Sponsored Links
An underrated transformer which is built onto the pcb is the problem,just a cheap inappropriate part used as cost saving exercise which has haunted Ideal as well as many customers on the warmfront scheme when the boiler warranty ran out

actually laughed out loud when i read this reply! :LOL:

actually laughed out loud when i read this reply! :LOL:

have to admit i laughed as well, i mean, 2 years out of an icos/isar pcb, that'll be some kind of record ;)

An underrated transformer which is built onto the pcb is the problem,just a cheap inappropriate part used as cost saving exercise which has haunted Ideal as well as many customers on the warmfront scheme when the boiler warranty ran out

The transformer is not under rated.

Its just that its not protected and any overload at all and it overheats and burns out.

A proper design uses a PTC resistor in series with the primary which trips off if there is any overlead. They cost in bulk about 14p each.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back