glowworm flexicom 30 cx problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the boiler fitted 18 months ago but over the course of the last few months it keeps going into fault mode F22 every 36 hours which is low water pressure.

I have ripped the house to bits and traced all the pipes and found one suspect joint which i made good ,this increased the time scale until the boiler went back to fault mode F22 (every 48 hours now)however the boiler has slowly got worse again and is now going off every 24 hours (NIGHTMARE AS ITS IN THE LOFT) !!

I have checked the outside pressure release pipe to see if that had been blowing but there are no signs of any moisture so i am at a complete loss as there seems to be no logic to the problem, i set the boiler pressure to 1.1 bar please if anyone has any ideas i would be very greatfull.

Sponsored Links
Is the pressure actually dropping? if so you are losing water somewhere, either a leak or through the PRV which will eject water outside in fault condition. However if you are saying that the pressure is over 1bar and it still gives F22 then you have a circulation problem. This could be a dodgy pump, rubbish in the system, etc...

Put a balloon over the end of the prv pipe and see if it fills with water. If it oes you've got a expansion vessel/prv fault. I would consider adding leak sealer (fernox express F4) to the system and see if this helps.

Thanks for the replies, when the boiler is in the F22 mode i refill it to 1.1 bar then over a period of about 24 hrs it will drop to the piont that the F22 mode appears again.

Ihave placed a bag over the outlet pipe outside (pressure release valve) to see if i collect water in it.

I have looked for a water leak everywhere but there is nothing i can see i have also added some fernox superconsintrate leak sealer which hasnt seemed to have made any difference.

I am starting to think is there a problem with the boiler ie 3 way valve maybe i should switch all the rads off upstairs and see what happens to the pressure.

Thanks again Paul

Sponsored Links
It won't be the 3 way valve unless it is visibly dripping from the spindle. The aquaplate/support (plastic hydroblock) on these models are prone to leaking but then the boiler would be dripping inderneath. It is very rare on this model but you may have a failed primary heat exchanger leaking via the condensate-test this by turning boiler off, pressurising to 2.5 bar and check for discharge from the condensate pipe.

I have just took the front cover off the boiler and the red tank which is on the right hand side does have some water stains underneath it but it is not fresh ie dry ,could this be due to testing when building the boiler?

What did you mean regarding putting the pressure upto 2.5 bar .

Cheers Paul

Drain the boiler, leave the drain cock open and test the red EV for pressure. (See FAQ's)

Should be around 0.8 Bar. If flat re-pressurise, if water comes out replace it.

If ok then fault is elsewhere. You sound as though you are up in the loft enough, so you might as well do this whilst you are up there.

Failing this, pressurise boiler to about 2 Bar, isolate from system at valves under boiler, leave as long as possible.

If pressure remains constant, then drops when you open the valves, it is a leak on the ch system.

Whatever make you get, I have never found any of the leak sealers to work, and even if they have done, it has only been for about 2 -4 weeks.

Total waste of money IMHO.

Whatever make you get, I have never found any of the leak sealers to work, and even if they have done, it has only been for about 2 -4 weeks.

Total waste of money IMHO.

I would have to disagree Dave. I have used it successfully many times but only Fernox. Radweld is very similar for engine coolant system and is good stuff too. (I have even used Radweld in ch successfully!)

Thanks i will give it a try to see if thats the problem,if the pressure on my system is dropping as often as it is and there was a leak on the c/h would the water evapourate quickly hence i cannot find any leaks.

Paul

tuncay 17 - did you sort this issue out with your Flexicom boiler? My 30CX boiler has also started losing water over a period of 24 hrs and there are no leaks on the rads at all. No water coming through the PRV?

Please advise as Glow worm claim I might need to repressurise my expansion tank - however there is nothing coming out of the PRV pipe!!??

Hello,yes i sorted my boiler problem what it was there was a crack in the heat exchanger (cast alloy)and the water was disapearing down the pipe that is connected to the toilet sewer pipe,hence i never saw any water being lost.
I solved the problem myself but what idid i isolated the heating system then pressure rised the boiler and left to see if it dropped pressure which it did straight away this meant the problem was with the boiler and not the heating system.
After i found the problem i rang flexicom and took out there insurance at £25 a month over 12 months got them out and got them to replace the heat exchanger (all parts and labour in with the £25 per month.
The heat exchanger on its own is £185,hope this helps please get back in touch if you require anymore info.

Paul

I am having the same issue with my boiler although fault 22 is appearing after half hour now. Pressure is going down rapidly... Quite worrying. Is it a big job to get new heat exchanger fitted??

Are you sure that you dont have leak on your central heating pipework ,as if there is no water leaking under your boiler this would be the first thing to trace.
The heat exchangers are made from cast alloy and rarely leak,mine was a rare case .

Thanks Paul

Sadly that is not the case the heat exchangers are crap and leak all the time fill the system and with the boiler off see if water is dripping from the condensate outlet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back