Glowworm Micron 60FF wont start fan comes on for few seconds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Glowworm Micron 60FF wont start (most of the time..) - fan comes on for few seconds as it attempts to start but then cycles on and off with an LED flashing at same rate as click on and off. Its not the LED behind the reset or burner lit ports, its one behind the panel. There are 2 LED's to the right hand side only visible when panel removed. As the boiler keeps cycling the fan, the left one (of these 2 right hand side LED's) flashes bright. The far right LED shows a very faint, barely detectable glimmer as the other one goes off. The LEDs don't appear to be displaying a signal like I have seen on the troubleshooting charts. My 2 left hand LED's are either bent on the board or I don't know what but there is an orange glow somewhere behind the area that doesnt appear to be flashing. They never have shown through their respective holes.

The fan is free at the top and spools up momentarily - From what I've read the fan should run for 5 - 10 seconds before the boiler is supposed to fire, it does not go that long before the clicking on and off starts - every 2 seconds perhaps. The fan rotates freely.

It does come on and run for about 5 minutes every so often so at that point everything is working so clearly not a fuse, but then it goes off and resumes the clicking business.

Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Fan hunting on and off normaly means the control board needs replacing.

Fan hunting on and off normaly means the control board needs replacing.

Mmm - Ok thanks.

Is there anything else it could be or any other tests I can do to the board.

And does that sit well with the fact that a couple of times an hour the boiler starts and runs normally for several minutes?

Off to look for a board...

Many thanks Picasso

Mmm - Ok thanks.

Many thanks Picasso

Probably but without being in front of your boiler I cant be 100% sure, but its probably the control board. ;)

Sponsored Links
Mmm - Ok thanks.

Many thanks Picasso

Probably but without being in front of your boiler I cant be 100% sure, but its probably the control board. ;)

Ok ta - Just found one on Ebay and close enough to collect - looks simple enough to change and nothing gas side so I'll give it a go.

I'll report back with results...positive I hope!

I can think of some other causes but the pcb is probably the most common.

The pcbs are not very reliable on that model.

It uses neons and not LEDs.

Tony

I can think of some other causes but the pcb is probably the most common.

The pcbs are not very reliable on that model.

It uses neons and not LEDs.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I'm getting some conflicting info regarding the PCB number. I ordered one by model, but now I've looked at picture, and removed mine, I can see significant difference. Mine has lots more on the board, but same number of plugs. Did they modify these, the model purchased is for a Micron 60FF - as is mine. If so, are they interchangeable without any mods as plugs look like compatible but in different positions.

Off the top of my head the manufacturer part number should be 2000801991. Yours should be the TPO pcb with pump overrun. The 30-50 has a NTPO pcb with no pump overrun. Glowworm have used 3 versions of this pcb all look completely different to the last.

Just to finish this off with resolution - it was the pcb board in the end.

The board that arrived looked very different from my old board - my original was pretty busy with relays and shedloads of transistors. The replacement had a few chips on it and pretty much nothing else - all plugs were the same and was straight swap over. All lovely and toasty again!!

Thanks for help everyone

That's what we had all expected.

But there is only one place to properly diagnose a boiler fault and that is at the boiler and not on the internet.

Tony

Keepo Mr Agile seems to think the indicators are neons

That's what we had all expected.

But there is only one place to properly diagnose a boiler fault and that is at the boiler and not on the internet.

Tony

....I suppose its like you asking me why your car is misfiring. Could be anything really. But, with some helpful questionning here and there, bit of descriptive background as to when it happens and hey presto - you "guess" right the problem. Its a pretty simple piece of kit really, a boiler - compared to say, a car and yet if you want to change the brakes on your car you can. And possibly kill yourself in the process by putting them on wrong, or dropping the car on you. Car repair lobby just not as powerful as gas fitting lobby.

Keepo Mr Agile seems to think the indicators are neons

I know, hilarious this bit.

As its pretty contentious I'm going to clear this up.

The old board had Neon's
The new board had LED's

As its an old bit of kit, it could have been either it would seem, if the board had been changed because they are all crap etc etc etc

Hope this helps - given us all here some great entertainment. I must get out more...

Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back