Glowworm Ultimate overheating

If your tenants are new I would think it is more possible that they flicked on an immersion heater switch which boiled over due to a failed stat...that's what I usually find, it would be very unusual for both stats to fail on the boiler. Pretty difficult to get BG to accept fault with no idea of what caused the problem. What did you turn off to stop the production of steam?

Sponsored Links
And now we have an intirely different scenario, whereas BG should have done a "Landlords" safety certificate

doitall said:
And now we have an intirely different scenario, whereas BG should have done a "Landlords" safety certificate

Landlords responsibility to arrange a landlords certificate, nothing to do with BG at all. I imagine fieryjack will sort that out in addition to his 3 star system cover.

Apologies if my facts were ambiguous.

I moved out of the property last week, my "return to the property" on Friday pm was to let BG in to do their safety checks and issue me with the appropriate Landlord gas safety certificate, which they did.

The tenants were in the process of moving their stuff in on Friday evening and it was then that they alerted me to the steam situation. I don't think they'd have been up for sabotage so early in their tenancy.

As for insurance, yes, I took out the correct insurance, through Norwich Union, earlier in the week. NU offer specific insurance for lettings.

Sponsored Links
and just to add a bit more detail . . .
The tenants almost certainly did not switch on the immersion as they were not around. If the immersion was switched on, then only BG could have done that, but again, I don't think BG did either.

However, they had turned up the thermostat fairly high, certainly higher than I'd ever set it. The high setting of the thermostat was confirmed by the second BG engineer the following morning.

What the tenants did when they discovered the steam was call me. I thne told them to switch off the power to the control unit, which means the boiler is turned off.

Apologies if my facts were ambiguous.

So what did BG do a 3star safety check which includes wiping the case, or did they do a proper Landlord safety check and fill in the correct form CP12, and what does it say.

they did a full check and passed the boiler (and cooker for that matter), only criticism being an external flue which passed last year's regs but wouldn't pass if it was new in 2005.

update to problem logged in June:

BG eventualy admitted liability, verbally. I'm hoping for an amicable settlement with them through their insurance company.

Turns out that when they did the "service" they turned off the thermostat on the boiler. Unfortunately the thermostat had a slight fault, a short or something, which meant that the boiler carried on working regardless. BG failed to notice this.

In fairness to BG, though they made the mistake they did 'fess up to it after further investigation. They did also fix the fault on the thermostat. Getting the insurance sorted has been a slow process but I remain optimistic it will happen soon.

Unfortunately the thermostat had a slight fault, a short or something, which meant that the boiler carried on working regardless. BG failed to notice this.
Anyone would have to be quite lucky to notice it. Most independents woud simply say "It was alright when I tested it", too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back