glueing wooden panels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my next project is a kitchen shelving unit. It will be the same size as my other kitchen units so 12" deep, and approx 36x36. Rather than using 12" panels for the sides I thought 3- 4x1's would look more in style with the other units. If I used 4x1 pine would glue alone be enough to form a panel? ( I have been using bostick) I could buy a couple of 12 or 18" clamps to help.

Sponsored Links
well you could,but if it was me i would be using a biscuit joint and alternating the grain on the boards to stop the possibility of the boards cupping/twisting.

if you dont have a biscuit jointer ;) you could just use dowells,carefully measure and mark where you want them,drill the boards out and glue using your clamps.

now have you thought about glue???
no doubt you have been using normal pva,but as you become more confidant take a look at gorilla glue(polyurethane) i tend to use this a lot when im doing lots of building windows/cabinets etc as it goes off within 30 mins.

Hi gregers, how about dowel jigs? have you used them? are they accurate?

yep got a couple, :)

but in this case its such a simple set up,you wont need 1.

say measure in from the ends say 2 inches,then basically divide whats left.
mark the middle of the edge of each timber,plot your marks onto the edge and how many you want.
clamp the timbers in your work mate and drill out,simples.

Sponsored Links
cheers gregers.

now, without a jig, I'm not sure I could drill holes square. If a hole isn't square (if you know what I mean?) I could get in a right mess when it comes to inserting dowels! could you recommend a dowel jig, perhaps the one/s you use?

funnily enough you can get a jig for dowels for a router, :LOL:
thinking about it,as ive been looking on ebay for them,think i might even have a few more ive picked up over the years. :LOL:

ive got 1 of these,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-VINTA...292?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a3fd1534

paid 1 whole pound for it.

this 1 iirc paid about 10 quid?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRAFTSMAN...524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27db2acbc4

but ive never used them, :LOL: just added to my tool collection really.

this 1 might be ok for you?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Faithfull...ies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET&hash=item51b348903a

your find them in the screwfix or tool station books

and dont worry about asking questions,every days a learning day.

;)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
also there are various ways to drill vertically/straight.
ive used a adjustable square pressed against the drill before.

Hi again, just looked up some router dowel jig stuff on the tube after reading your post, interesting.
Jigs as the one you suggest are cheap enough for me to give it a try. Just checked screwfix as I have one locally but they don't seem to do them anymore according to the website. I'll check my catalog later.
thanks for the info.

3x 4x1" is about 11-11 1/4" 93-95mm x3 = 280-286 all depends on your supplier

thanks big-all.

this is something that messes me up sometimes. I operate in inches (my upbringing) so I draw my ideas in inches. Then I get to the shop and wood is in mm's! Then I have to borrow a measure to see just what I am looking at.
To make life easier for myself I'll draw my plan up in mm's according to the shop sizes.

Good point.

planed timber is sawn stock sizes planed
the planing removes between 1/8-3/8ths dependant on thickness /width
4x1" planed was 4x1" before planing after planing it finishes up at around 20-22mm by 93-96mm

so if its quoted in inches is preworked size
if its quoted in mm it tends to be actual size but iff its nice round 25mms its not the actual size as they have just translated the the preworked sizes rather than finished sizes

when you phone up ask for "actual finished sizes"

but as a rough guide 1"=22mm 2"=44mm 3"=68mm 4"=94mm 5"=118mm

you tend to loose an extra 1 to 1.5mm at progressively wider boards hence the 24mm and 23mm between bigger wider board measurements

very helpful.

I got my last wood from b&q. The reason is ... when I bought wood from a merchants a couple of the lengths they cut had either a knot missing near the edge of a board leaving half a hole, or a couple of little bashes in the sides which I then had to try and hide so the bits couldn't be seen. At b&q I could handle and check the lengths and choose the best for my needs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back