God or country

thats my point john its the God squad thing. sun sea wind someone somewhere will be hailing it as heaven sent ,may the force go with u :LOL: were is the peace 2 bombs yesterday 60 dead,rockets over the jew's walls, :eek: but 99% of this stops on christmas day :confused: should we have more christmas days :LOL:

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
"the meek shall inherit the earth"

They can have it. I don't want any trouble from the meek! (Jasper carrott) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

JohnD said:
the MidWinter Festival was in place long before Christianity, and the early Christian church piggy-backed onto the existing festival time.

How very true. I put our Yuletide tree up today but it'll be decorated in baubles and tinsel. The traditional balls and intestines are a bit hard to find these days - and we have enough trouble with the cats trying to knock baubles off! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PS: Strictly speaking it should come down on New Year's Day because that is the twelfth day of Yuletide (that's another idea that Christians nicked) but ours will stay up until the fifth. I don't see why we shouldn't have the best of both worlds. :D :D :D

To the non believers and the believers every waking day of your life is linked to religion,have a look at the date 2007,this is 2007 years after the birth of christ the SON of GOD so whether you like it or not ours lives are linked to god in some way.A lot of holidays are linked to religious dates another way we are controlled by religion and some link to Jesus.

Sponsored Links
To the non believers and the believers every waking day of your life is linked to religion,have a look at the date 2007,this is 2007 years after the birth of christ the SON of GOD so whether you like it or not ours lives are linked to god in some way.A lot of holidays are linked to religious dates another way we are controlled by religion and some link to Jesus.

The son of god? How does that work then?

IIRC he described himself, when asked, not as the son of God, but as the son of Man.

the other description has been made up by someone.

God is a good way of controlling masses of people with no possibility of reproach.
For centuries it has been used by the powerful to keep the less powerful in check.
I know this is going to upset some people, and it's purely my own opinion but i think religion as such can be a good and bad thing, in times of need it can be a friend to fall back on, and at other times it can be a stick to beat you with, but to hold on to this idea of a single entity controlling/watching all is pretty foolish, considering the number of deity then who would have control?? Can you imagine the board meetings???
Allah, god, shiva, vishnu, shakti, etc etc.

Could be the case that they are all one and the same, which means that religion is never the cause of war, the actual cause of war is powerful people wanting more power, and religion is used as a scapegoat.

It wasn't so long ago that many civilised cultures believed the heads of state and church were gods themselves. Not sure who changed it for this country but think it was around the time of the tudors, could have coincided with henry dissolving the catholic church. Strange how he dissolved it and replaced it with a religion of his own choice. Was he perhaps concerned about losing control of the masses???

I would just like to add, that i've never known god kill anyone, but plenty of times i've known people kill in his name, and powerful people call on his followers to kill in his name.

In response to JohnD son of man is correct, i read somewhere else..........again this is just someone elses interpretation, that the bible was incorrectly translated and that his correct title should have been jesus of the nazarea/n *sp* which was an anti roman terrorist organisation.

I'm not trying to sway anyones opinion, you make your own decision, but from what i've read and tried to understand, religion should be an open/joyful experience, not some archaic system of control, where things that may cause people to question the religious leaders is concealed at all costs.

I've got no time for it, they preach love but spread hatred, I live in a small community so know everyone well, and the church goers are certainly not the most christian amongst us.
It does worry me that intelligent people have been believing this stuff for many years, I often wonder if there is something in it, I don't think its been well thought out,
I think it goes back many years ago, when you're born on this planet you get confused, why am'I here? Well I did :) I'm atheist and generally believe that people believing in God is a way of coping with life maybe?

Leejc ,:cool: well put, :cool: but did'nt Moses part the waves ;) and others with jawbones and slings and staves do damage :confused: i may b wrong

ooh my gawd,
scary now that the western world would not fight a religious war as such, yet the middle east still use their god as an excuse for war.

nutters on all sides.

i cant see why the 'gods' dont get down the pub an sort summat out, its not like they dont have time for it, no tescos for them :)

AtoZ, tell us the pub and if the drink is free the boys from DIYNOT will do there duty and save the world :LOL: :LOL: best bitter for me ;)

'god' is something that is within us all.

if you have a conscience, if you feel pity or sorrow, if you feel remorse or guilt, if you can love or hate then i guess you can belive in god.

think about it, thes are just feelings that are surplus to requirement. they are feelings that set us apart from animals.

after all, hunger, sexual urge, fear, anger, pain etc are necessary for survival.

believing in god is just another feeling.

probably.

'god' is something that is within us all.

I'm with noseall (I presume you used lowercase deliberately), my belief is in mankind and humanity, I believe we have these "surplus" feelings as a gift, not in the sense that we were given them, but more along the lines of being privileged to have them - regardless of the whys and wherefores.

I am certain that the troubles currently and historically experienced by mankind are entirely manmade, I also see the answer to living in peace and understanding with and of each other will have to be manmade.

I have a deep mistrust of organised religion, as I am sure that the number one priority in each "church's" decision making process is the appearance of infallibility and absolute righteousness.

Incidentally, does anyone know the real reason for the Catholic church denying their priests the right to marry and have sexual intercourse?

We are the most intelligent ANIMAL on the planet, that is all.
Religion, to some, is a way of softening death when it comes.

Liftoff Home

The Big Bang Theory

Representation of the universe according to inflationary cosmology.
The Big Bang Theory is the dominant scientific theory about the origin of the universe. According to the big bang, the universe was created sometime between 10 billion and 20 billion years ago from a cosmic explosion that hurled matter and in all directions.
In 1927, the Belgian priest Georges Lemaître was the first to propose that the universe began with the explosion of a primeval atom. His proposal came after observing the red shift in distant nebulas by astronomers to a model of the universe based on relativity. Years later, Edwin Hubble found experimental evidence to help justify Lemaître's theory. He found that distant galaxies in every direction are going away from us with speeds proportional to their distance.

The big bang was initially suggested because it explains why distant galaxies are traveling away from us at great speeds. The theory also predicts the existence of cosmic background radiation (the glow left over from the explosion itself). The Big Bang Theory received its strongest confirmation when this radiation was discovered in 1964 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson, who later won the Nobel Prize for this discovery.

Although the Big Bang Theory is widely accepted, it probably will never be proved; consequentially, leaving a number of tough, unanswered questions.
In the beginning the lord said let there be light.
So there is not alot of difference in how the world was created it depends on your point of view, i like the god concept.

Sponsored Links
Back