Going rate for resetting chimney pots

D

DonSolaris

Is there a going rate for changing the cement around the base of some chimney pots in London?

I had some builders knock on my door out of the blue offering to do this repair on two chimney stacks on a side wall (each with two pots in perfect condition). Usually I wouldn't be interested in cold callers, but there are cracks in the cement so it does look like it needs changing.

Can cracks in the cement around a chimney pot cause water to get inside the roof or is it just that you run the risk of the pot falling off in the wind?

Sponsored Links
THEY knocked on Your door... Let me spell it out .. R O G U E T R A D E R S. or ****** :eek: NEVER let the B`stards inside your boundary, let alone do work...or are you just winding us up :LOL:

No, I agree with you about distrusting anyone who knocks, it's just that I can see that the cement does need replacing so I wondered at least what the going rate is.

His initial offer was £250, which dropped to £160 within the space of a minute after I kept refusing. Then someone else came along who was with him and he did mutter £140 to them, as if to check before saying it to me. But I really have no idea if that was a reasonable rate for what they wanted to do or suspiciously cheap.

I can't see re-fixing chimney pots as being a difficult or time consuming job. Surely you just chisel out the old cement (which, if already cracked, will take a few minutes) and throw on a dollop of new before smoothing over with a trowel? There's no pointing involved as the stack is rendered in cement.

No, I agree with you about distrusting anyone who knocks, it's just that I can see that the cement does need replacing so I wondered at least what the going rate is.

His initial offer was £250, which dropped to £160 within the space of a minute after I kept refusing. Then someone else came along who was with him and he did mutter £140 to them, as if to check before saying it to me. But I really have no idea if that was a reasonable rate for what they wanted to do or suspiciously cheap.

I can't see re-fixing chimney pots as being a difficult or time consuming job. Surely you just chisel out the old cement (which, if already cracked, will take a few minutes) and throw on a dollop of new before smoothing over with a trowel? There's no pointing involved as the stack is rendered in cement.

STOP. and think.

Sponsored Links
That's exactly what I am doing... whilst waiting for a reply to the thread topic.

3 quotes? Reputable Builder?
Might be a tad excessive but at least get one other.
Or wait till the weather improves and have a look yourself.

The problem with this kind of job is that it is so easy to cause collateral damage whilst carrying out the repair. Due to the location, you may not be aware of any 'other' damage until the next rain storm, long after the
the shysters have cleared off, along with their dodgy mobile number.

Also, unless you get up there and inspect their efforts, it is highly likely that they will simply trowel on some compo' over the existing then clear off. Their so called repair will follow them down the roof sooner rather than later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back