Going to build an extension myself but.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was wondering

1. if i need permission ,it's only about 15m2 floor area
2.how deep wide foundations need to be
3.flat or pitched roof is easiest?
4.how thick concrete base
5.do i tie the extension brickwork into house brickwork with them metal
things that i used to through around building sites as a kid
6.how many windows do i need by law
7.how much will it all cost (i have £2500)
8.i have only ever built a barbecue before (wasn't perfectly level and the sausages used to roll to one end)....joke
9.should i stop now and get a professional in and if so how much will
he charge

any advice appreciated ,i genuinely want to do it myself so any tips on things to consider will be appreciated.......cheers Pippa

Sponsored Links
7.how much will it all cost (i have £2500)

Well that's the fees sorted then. How much have you got for the materials and labour?

You've got to admire this old fashioned eccentric "have a go" attitude though ..... or is it the drugs?

Sponsored Links
Take heart and don't pay too much attention to them!
This is a diy site isn't it?
I built an extension myself. I used a chap offering to draw up plans rather than an architect. He charged £450 and knew all the regulations even put the plan through the planning dept for me.
£50 got a friend of a friend to dig the founds with a jcb. Hire, buy or borrow cement mixer for the concrete.
I used a self employed brickie to build the walls I fitted the trusses myself (guy comes and measures up then supplies) Electrician quotes £150 for light and power.
Need I go on. With £2500 and a good deal of input especially if you can lay bricks you could do it.
Ps Please don't go for a flat roof covered in felt. That's for garden sheds.
Proper sloping roof with tiles every time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back