Going to the World Cup? Like a drink? Oh dear ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Personally when I go to something e.g. theatre show, it doesn't bother me if I can't get a drink. But I know for some (many?) people, having a drink at an event goes hand in hand.

I wonder if this request will be forced through? What a great idea it was to hold the World Cup there. The decision not influenced by money of course ;)

p.s. yes I've linked to a DM article but others also reporting the same story.

Sponsored Links
Like when I go to my mate's house, his family are non-smokers, and I spark up my pipe in the front room while we watch corrie. His missus mumbles something like (it's our house!", but I just tell them I want to do what I like when I'm there. If I have time, I'll also mooch around the house telling them about all the other things I don't like about what they've done with the place.

I think alcohol should be banned in all football stadiums everywhere. Too many of those that go to them can't control their behavior after a few pints.
I think part of the problem is it's an important part of revenue streams for places now. If I use the example of the theatre again (very different from a football stadium I know!) I'm sure when I was younger you could drink in the bar before the show and at the interval, however drink in the auditorium wasn't allowed. That's changed in many venues now so you get folk drinking before and during the show. As you touch on, depending on how well they can hold their drink, it can sometimes make the experience different for those around them.

It's the same on flights. I reckon many (most?) of the articles you read about folk losing it on planes will be down to them being half cut by the time the plane takes off.

So yeah, for me, less alcohol at certain events and places wouldn't be an issue. However as I say, because it's no doubt a decent additional revenue stream for business, I doubt that'll happen.

Sponsored Links
If the beer ban goes ahead the only place football fans will be able to drink alcohol will be at a designated fan park, where Budweiser has already revealed a 500ml drink will cost fans £11.60. o_O
A few hotels and bars will typically charge £12-15.
Buddha on a bicycle! that's a pricey pi$$up!!

At 12 quid a pint, i doubt there will be many of them migrant workers who built the stadium in the queue.

If the beer ban goes ahead the only place football fans will be able to drink alcohol will be at a designated fan park, where Budweiser has already revealed a 500ml drink will cost fans £11.60. o_O
A few hotels and bars will typically charge £12-15.
Buddha on a bicycle! that's a pricey pi$$up!!
The hospitality areas of the stadiums are still allowing alcohol, do Muslims and FIFA not mind the rich drinking?
A lot of people have no interest in this World cup,nobody at work is even talking about it, is anyone looking forward to the opening game, Qatar v Ecuador.

The hospitality areas of the stadiums are still allowing alcohol, do Muslims and FIFA not mind the rich drinking?
A lot of people have no interest in this World cup,nobody at work is even talking about it, is anyone looking forward to the opening game, Qatar v Ecuador.
Only the rich can afford those prices, i'd say.
The timing of this ban suggests Qatar officials knew they had FIFA by the short n' curlies, and left them with no choice but to go along.
I'll probably watch the opening ceremony and bits of the following match then look forward to the England game on Monday.

It might be as much a stitch-up with Budweiser sponsoring and monopolising.

Like when I go to my mate's house, his family are non-smokers, and I spark up my pipe in the front room while we watch corrie. His missus mumbles something like (it's our house!", but I just tell them I want to do what I like when I'm there. If I have time, I'll also mooch around the house telling them about all the other things I don't like about what they've done with the place.

You would be out on yer Arse, in my house.

I think alcohol should be banned in all football stadiums everywhere. Too many of those that go to them can't control their behavior after a few pints.
I no longer drink alcohol, but I do know that rugby fans are a lot more civilised than football fans when it comes to such behaviour...

Funnily enough more people in predominantly rugby playing areas voted to remain in the EU as opposed to those in predominantly football playing areas...

Of course that applies to the only rugby version that counts - Rugby Union, the best team sport in the world!

So you are right to point out the lack of intelligence of your average football fan! (y)

I think what's out of order is they've changed the goalposts (pardon the pun) in extra time. Probably planned this all along.

Sponsored Links
Back