Covid Death Stats: Looking Like Us Doubters May Be Right

BTW, not having a pop at you ajohn, I just think the government have had a unique set of problems to deal with, thats all. Hind sight & post examination is easy. Dealing with things at the time wasn’t.
That's why they employ experts, which Boris initially ignored and hoped the virus would simply go away.

Sponsored Links
That's why they employ experts, which Boris initially ignored and hoped the virus would simply go away.
You cannot possibly have an 'expert' in something that has never happened before. At best, it’s an educated guess by a human and as we know, humans are fallible. Some will get it right, some will get it wrong. We may know more about prevention and cure when Covid 21 comes along.

Maybe ajohn was referring to Hugo Talks, and not to Dominic Raab.
I hadn't thought of that - ajohn's posts and writing style are not the clearest.

However, my point in posting the video was because Raab had said that masks etc. might remain - i.e. goal post moving.

Sponsored Links
You cannot possibly have an 'expert' in something that has never happened before. At best, it’s an educated guess by a human and as we know, humans are fallible. Some will get it right, some will get it wrong. We may know more about prevention and cure when Covid 21 comes along.
An expert in this case may simply be someone who has the ability to follow what has gone on before (a few days, a couple of weeks) before in other countries, and can foretell what is likely to happen in UK.
Which Boris duly ignored and claimed the virus would be beaten simply by the good ole British bulldog spirit.

The roadmap published in February said the same thing.
Do you mean there was a proviso for the possibility of covid not going to plan?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56964296

"Some Covid-19 safeguards will need to remain in place beyond June when the roadmap out of lockdown is due to end, the foreign secretary has said.

Dominic Raab told the BBC no decisions have been made, but it could involve some use of social distancing or masks.

Under the government's roadmap, all legal restrictions on social contact in England are due to end on 21 June.

Mr Raab said the UK was "in a good position" to "get life back as close to normal as possible".

The foreign secretary told BBC One's Andrew Marr Show: "But there will still need to be some safeguards in place.""

Do I remember correctly Hancock saying once we had a vaccine, everything can get back to normal?

Do you mean there was a proviso for the possibility of covid not going to plan?

Only pointing out that, while you said the goal posts have moved, nothing has actually changed since at least February. It's all in the roadmap from then.

Sorry for butting in but if there are theories about the uk response, how do you explain the rest of the world.

Only pointing out that, while you said the goal posts have moved, nothing has actually changed since at least February. It's all in the roadmap from then.
I must have misunderstood:

"Under the government's roadmap, all legal restrictions on social contact in England are due to end on 21 June."

I must have misunderstood:

"Under the government's roadmap, all legal restrictions on social contact in England are due to end on 21 June."

you are quoting a press release, not the official govt roadmap:

Step 4 - not before 21 June
Social contact
By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

Business, activities and events
We hope to reopen remaining premises, including nightclubs, and ease the restrictions on large events and performances that apply in Step 3. This will be subject to the results of a scientific Events Research Programme to test the outcome of certain pilot events through the spring and summer, where we will trial the use of testing and other techniques to cut the risk of infection. The same Events Research Programme will guide decisions on whether all limits can be removed on weddings and other life events.

As we move through each of these phases in the roadmap, we must all remember that COVID-19 remains a part of our lives. We are going to have to keep living our lives differently to keep ourselves and others safe. We must carry on with ‘hands, face, space’. Comply with the COVID-Secure measures that remain in place. Meet outdoors when we can and keep letting fresh air in. Get tested when needed. Get vaccinated when offered. If we all continue to play our part, we will be that bit closer to a future that is more familiar.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary

Although you are claiming "moving goalposts" -surely you know that easing of restrictions can only be based on the data.

I must have misunderstood.

Perhaps. Social contact doesn't cover facemasks etc., it is to do with opening up all events which are still closed and ending number restrictions for weddings and such like.

It is all explained in the roadmap, for example "Ahead of Step 4, as more is understood about the impact of vaccines on transmission and a far greater proportion of the population has been vaccinated, the Government will complete a review of social distancing measures and other long-term measures that have been put in place to limit transmission. The results of the review will help inform decisions on the timing and circumstances under which rules on 1m+, face masks and other measures may be lifted."

However, my point in posting the video was because Raab had said that masks etc. might remain - i.e. goal post moving
They may or they may not so there was no point what so ever in him making a statement like that. The reason for it being like that is the covid situation I outlined. I wasn't kidding when I said every one and do mean every one will eventually catch it at some point. No one has said mask wearing when all adults have been vaccinated so there is no goal post moving at all. People are just making assumptions and totally ignoring what they have said over and over again - it depends on what happens when they change the rules. That is why the rules are relaxed a bit at a time.

Actually Vallance when asked said yes mask requirements will be dropped at some point but he thought some will continue to wear them. That was some time ago, pre vaccine. ;) He didn't say when, just stating something rather obvious.

The vaccine program ends in a few months. That may mean time to start another to go through the whole thing again. If "immunity" lasts for 6 months it will be time to start at the beginning again. Think about fitting in no masks wearing with that. They are mentioning boosters and use of different vaccines when and if that time arrives already. Completely new vaccines next year as well.

Sponsored Links
Back