Golf ESP light permanently on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Golf 1.4, 2006 reg. The ESP light on the dashboard came on today and has been on ever since, along with the light on the push button used to turn it off.

I've googled it and read many horror stories, but I would be interested if anyone on here has come across it and what was the cause and price to repair.

I bought it 2 weeks ago from a one man car dealer who promised me a 3 month warranty. I guess we'll see what his word is like now.

Finally, is it safe to drive. It doesn't seem any different.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly safe to drive. But your ESP wont work at all.
May be a simple wheel speed sensor but till it get put on Diagnostic software such as VAGcom the list is endless

If the mk5 Golf is anything like the mk4 in the electronics department then the light could relate to anything.
My engine check light came on when I had a faulty brake light switch, and in the Leon I had prior to that the same light came on because I had a sidelight bulb fail.

For the want of ten minutes check all your lights, replace any blown bulbs and if that doesnt fix it take it back to the dealer. The 3 month warranty has been UK law for a couple of years now so you should be okay.

Just to update incase any searches for the solution. Had it diagnosed as fault on ABS pump.

The RAC warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on as they say it is "an inherent fault". The dealer turned out to be an Arthur Daley type so I approached VW. As a good will gesture they have a sliding scale of assistance. Up to 3 years will replace for free. 3-4 years 100% of parts cost and 50% of labour cost. 4-? years 50% of each.

I fall into the 3-4 years just and will have to pay £150 + £39 for diagnosis. Cost should be £1100, phew.

Nice gesture by VW but they will only offer if there is a full service history at VW garages. So next time I feel I'm being ripped off with my service, I'll remember this.

Sponsored Links
What was the ident code as there are places that can repair the ABS unit
Easy job to change the electronics

So obviously, VW know you don't have a full service history with them?

The thing is, its just a scapegoat clause from VW.....any normal servicing, or even lack of it could hardly cause problems for the ABS unit.
Anyway, VW aren't obliged to offer anything after the 3 years, and most manufacturer's wouldn't so I guess we should be grateful.
It sounds like they are aware of this issue....
John :)

It gets better. Got the job done today at VW. Cost me £142 for new ABS unit that should have been £1100, so many thanks to VW.

However, the warning lights still do not come on during the self-check on switch on or the switch in the centre console.

The engineer investigated and found that on the day that the Arthur Daley dealer I bought it off, had it to look at, he must have painted over the inside of the console switch in black paint, and he's disabled the warning light on the instrument cluster somehow.

I'm taking legal action to get the money off him, but what's the instrument cluster like to get at. I wouldn't mind seeing what he's done, maybe I can repair it. VW just want to replace it.

I think BBA- reman can handle these?
John :)
Yes they can for future Ref( ex Employee)
£ 142 must have been a Wheel speed sensor??
As for the dash should come out the normal way few screws and the pull out.
Just a couple of electrical plugs to disconnect.

Remember they cannot be swapped out with another as the immobiliser is built into the dash pod

yeah i believe so. VW say to replace the cluster would require programming for the keys.

I had a warning light fault on a Ford a few years ago and the flexible circuit board just needed a bridge across a cracked track. Maybe it is something similar on a VW.

vw group cars have the immobiliser built into the cluster,its not a bulb in the cluster.......they are now led's unless hes disconnected it by removing it.

Sponsored Links
Back