good car for 17 year old new driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i will be driving in a couple of months and was wondering what car would be good as a first car? eg;

low insurance
good milage
can survive a few bumps
low tax

any ideas?
also, would a small van be expensive to ensure?

thanks in advance
tom

Sponsored Links
japanese, tiny engine, dull appearance. that should do the trick.

Nissan Micra, not exactly a exciting car, but comfortable and fairly reliable.

Wotan

Micra K11, Toyota Yaris or similar.....depends how much you have to spend.
Basic Peugeot 206's are reasonable too, or Saxo's if not boy racered.
Van insurance is usually crippling for a novice driver.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Depends on what you want to spend - a Pug diesel will be very low road tax, good mileage - insurance about average... my 1st car was a ford fezza, very cheap n reliable...

If you want to be able to repair it yourself, a '90s diesel Peugeot.

Peter

Methinks you are a classic Peugeot dealer in disguise Peter.... :p
I thought the ZX and 306 diesels were fab cars - sadly they are either through the hedges or in scrappers now. The £2000 scrappage scheme has a lot to answer for.

Hi John

I have run Citroen hydropneumatic diesels for the last 25, years, XM's for the last 15 and certainly wouldn't recommend them as a DIY car :eek: although I still think they are the best car in the world :D but their Peugeot counterparts are very rugged and reliable cars, there are quite a number of 405 td estates down here and some still look almost new, there are a fair few 306's here as well but the ZX's are fast dissapearing, pity because I think they are the better car.

Peter

The lad is a 17 year old, looking for a small, cheep, low cost runabout. Saxo's and other cars that lads do up to boy race have a real bad insurance rating now. You need to look at a car that does not enter the boy racer requirement. The early Nissan Micra would be a good bet, cheep to buy, run and insure. does the job and if looked after you will probably get your money back on it. Once you have some more experiance and earnt some no claims bonus the car of your choice will become more affordable. You should get a nice little micra for around £500 but look around, there are some good ones to be found. Good luck...

wow thanks for loads of replies, my dad is a mechanis and could do any repairs, he said to have a look at old the old 106 or an oldish focus/fiesta as well as most of the ones you have named, will i be better off looking for a pertol or diesel??

thanks tom

You planning to do long journeys or short ones, local probably petrol long journeys deisel, performance of a small oldish car would be better with petrol.

The 106 is the same as the Saxo. They aren't bad to insure, but they must not be modified to qualify! They do have an inner wing rust issue though, so if you are looking at one, lift the bonnet and check for bubbling paint on the inner wing horizontal surfaces. The parts are cheap as chips, but I don't recommend the diesel engine.
Fiesta's - well, there are loads about so don't discount them. Like the Ka, the rust treatment underneath isn't generous.
I think the Focus will be too expensive to insure - good car though they are. Many are thrashed beyond belief.
Plenty of Corsas about too. Basically you want a car thats been cherished by 'mature' owners, who enjoy going to church in it on Sundays!
Think about Fabias, Ibizas and Polos too. The Suzuki Swift could also be within your grasp.
Avoid anything Italian.....

thanks.... again
i do like the ibiza, i learned to drive in one , they are good sized but i personally dont really like the gearbox/clutch too much, way too light.
corsas are ment to be great cars but, all corsas ive seen cost a bomb to ensure.

tom

all corsas ive seen cost a bomb to ensure.

tom

thats because all the eejits with bodykits and blue sidelights drive them, it instantly makes you out to be ****.

what you need is what i said first. small engine, likely to be driven by doris next door and a bit rubbish to look at.

you don't say if you are interested in "style" or just getting around for as little as possible.

hi, im needing a car to get too work and back, im a site joiner(apprentice)
so its a real hastle trying to get a lift or bus/train to every job which changes daily sometimes, style? well id like it to look ok, but im not after any bodykits or racing stripes, just to look sort of, well...normal.

for me cars like the ka are ruled out, one i think theyre ugly as sin,
and two i need a good sized boot/backseat for tools/ work gear, im only an apprentice but because i like buying tools, ive got more gear than some of the men that have been working years.

oh, also i need to try and afford a car and all the things with it on 400 quid a month, so its not gonna be easy :)

thanks

Sponsored Links
Back