Neighbour hit my car, what now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just come home to find that the neighbour popped round, saying that their friend reversed into my car. There's a scrape over the rear wheel arch, a few inches long, indented and missing paint. :mad:

Normal procedure would be to get their insurance to cover the repair at a bodyshop, however the car is so old as to not be worth the hassle. It's a '91 Polo, but was up to now in very good condition for the age, with low mileage (45,000) and limited rust. I only paid a few hundred for it and use it for work and shopping, but the cost of repair would be more than it's worth!

I shouldn't be too narked but a VW fanatic pal reckoned that if I'd kept it in the condition it's in and kept the mileage down, it would probably start to appreciate in value in a couple of years time. Not now though. Should I let the insurance company decide what to do or just ask for some cash? Anyone been in the same situation?

Sponsored Links
take the cash, its probably not worth the hike in your insurance premium to claim.

i dont agree on a 91 polo being worth anything significant in the future either.

Neighbour was very apologetic and handed over a ton on her (their blind driving friends) behalf :)
That's handy cos I've gotta tax it end of the month.

Ask this neighbour to get the friend to pop around to my house. But could she do a £500 scratch not just a measly £100?

Reminds me of the time my sister in law reversed off my drive into my bright red sierra which I had previously moved off the drive and parked it a bit up the road, so that she could park on the drive!

Sponsored Links
Reminds me of the time my sister in law reversed off my drive into my bright red sierra which I had previously moved off the drive and parked it a bit up the road, so that she could park on the drive!

The daft thing is, the woman reversed and cleared my car with the back end, but caught it with her front bumper due to her oversteering!

Despite the payout I'd still rather it hadn't happened. The cash was just enough to neutralise my annoyance.

The other mild sweetener is that she's mentioned to him that she needs some plastering done in her house. So might be some work in it!

Ask this neighbour to get the friend to pop around to my house. But could she do a £500 scratch not just a measly £100?

you had a sierra OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back