Stoping my car being stolen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought another car and transfered the insurance from the old one to the new one.

So I now have my old car sitting on my drive - uninsured, until it is sold. Next year now, probably.

I was going to buy a steering clamp or something, but then thought I might take the wheel off instead.

Has anyone got any good ideas that are less hassle that would stop anyone taking it. It is a Merc A140 worth about £3000.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Assuming petrol, take the EHT leads off and put them inside your house (of course taking note how to put them back on!!)

Sponsored Links
wouldnt stop it being stolen tho will it..

it could still be towed/lifted away.

is there any way you could box it in, make it harder for anyone to get at it.

cover it...?

Assuming petrol, take the EHT leads off and put them inside your house (of course taking note how to put them back on!!)

Nothing will stop someone who is determined to steal it and knows how, all you can do is place obsticles in their way.
How about just getting a short term insurance policy?

take battery off,remove more then 1 wheel,park it in such a way that it will be a pig to get out.let some of your good neighbours know about it,so if they spot any 1 sniffing around they know there up to no good.

You still need to insure your car even though it is on your drive. Laid up cover is quite cheap and should your car get nicked then all is ok. Got to be worth it for 3 grands worth of car surely?

Otherwise remove the battery, use a wheel clamp, even put it on axle stands and remove the road wheels if you are really that scared it will get stolen.

If you can't spell stopping, put a For Sale tag in the window, nobody will touch it.

Although if you advertise it's uninsured, and parked at your address, on the global internet, plus your profile, then I might fancy a new car, 3k? hmm easily to sell on, no questions asked, even with 3 wheels.

Googleearth anyone? for a looksee?

What a STUPID post to make! You invite car thieves!

Thanks for all the helpful posts, I know exactly what to do now.

Mickeymoody - I've moved from Norfolk to London since registering on this site so they won't find the car there. And why would a car thief be more interested in taking it if they knew it was uninsured, especially if it has a wheel clamp and the battery removed. They might as well take a good car parked on the side of the road, not an A140.

Sorry for speling 'stopping' wrong.

I would suggest a painfully loud siren inside the car connected to the courtesy light circuit, cheap and very effective.

Peter

Nothing will stop someone who is determined to steal it and knows how, all you can do is place obsticles in their way.
How about just getting a short term insurance policy?

Park it in a locked garage would be the most effective solution.

Mate of mine on another forum had his old car laid up for a few months, came home one day to find it gone.

Whilst he was out, a couple of blokes in hi-vis jackets turned up with a truck with a crane on the back, picked it up put it on the flatbed and drove off. As it was quite an old car they neighbours all thought he'd arranged to have it scrapped.

It's never been seen since.

jack the car up, get someone to apply the brake pedal then clamp all your brake flexi hoses. This in effect locks your brakes on rendering the car immovable unless lifted,

Sponsored Links
Back