Good Golly Carol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Carol Thatcher sacked for making a remark of camera, :eek: can we ever say anthing in private without it getting us into bother :cry: ,

Sponsored Links
Careful what you say, don't crack a joke or anything. It's an immensely sad episode.

For those unaware of the story...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5651477.ece

My opinion is if you're wanting to be 'high profile' and thus earn plenty of dosh for your comments in newspaper columns, tv show etc, then you have to accept that your comments, positive and/or negative, 'On and/or Off Air', will be scrutinised and you will be brought to account swiftly if your comments are 'not acceptable'.

Most of us of a certain age (old gits :D ), will remember Robertson's Golliwog.
2091014405_b5eeb7b99f.jpg

Golliwog is a word and image that has attracted negative publicity for a number of years however Robertson's only recently stopped using the Golliwog image (in 2001 I believe), in there promotion of their marmalade product. The Golliwog has also featured in a number of childrens books over the years. Was/is the golliwog offensive? It isn't to me but that doesn't me it isn't to everyone. The word has been used in the past in a racist manner (mainly during the 70's as I recall). If such images and words do cause offence to a large majority of people then I think there is no hardship to society in choosing not to use the image/word. I recall I recent debate on here with reference to the 'N' word. That word is obviously offensive and is not acceptable but I seem to also recall that some believed it is ok for people of colour to use the word between themselves. Indeed I made reference to the fact that I had seen a TV program regarding racism and that groups of black people (mainly younger men and women) within that program used the word amongst themselves as some form of greeting. It was also used by the same youths with negative connotations however! I do not accept that the use of a word can be exclusive to one section of society and prohibited to another regardless of the 'intention' of the use of it. I feel that such a situation leads to confusion and opens the door to possible abuse. If the word is deemed by society to be unacceptable then there is no debate. Either the word CANNOT be used or it CAN. It's Black and White as far as I am concerned (no pun intended).

As for Carol Thatcher, if she used an 'unacceptable' word then she only has herself to blame... and/or the alcohol perhaps! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Well as she looked like Coco the Clown herself....

Coco_Nikolai_Poliakov_a_Latvian_adopted_by_Britain.jpg
Carol-Thatcher_1_480048a.jpg
000DBA7F-013F-137B-88290C01AC1BF814.jpg

How can you be derogatory to your fellow humans when your breaking in a set of dentures for Red Rum

What is more offensive is the BBC's double standards.
I refer obviously to the repugnant Ross affair.
He was far more offensive and did it in public whilst being broadcast. What Carol Thatcher did was in private and we all do things in private which may be questionable.
The person who made a point of the discussion should be identified and shown for what an absolute Pr*ck he/she is.
But for the BBC to operate such double standards is testament to the Idiots that manage the place.

Well as she looked like Coco the Clown herself....

Coco_Nikolai_Poliakov_a_Latvian_adopted_by_Britain.jpg
Carol-Thatcher_1_480048a.jpg
000DBA7F-013F-137B-88290C01AC1BF814.jpg

More like Jimmy Saville now then, now then guys and gals

Anyone see the lawyer on BBC breakfast talking about it, he looked just like a ermm Golliwog

Not looked at the link but its simple what is offensive about saying that someone has hair like a golly, fek how many curly ginga birds where called crystal tips.
kids asked if they felt a little shy because they had a haircut like a coconut.
Helmet head for kids that got the bowl cut any kid with a skinhead had nits. Ginger nuts. slap head etc etc . Its a **** take nothing else the PC police need to have a long hard look at theselves

was it jo brand or that pillock adrian chiles who complained???? could set the one show ratings zooomon.. good publicity eh.. ;)

shes a racist just like her mother.

looking forward to seeing both roasting in hell :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back