GOLLIES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cops raided a shop keepers shop ( try saying that when your pi#sed :LOL: ), anyway they raided it because he had 3 gollies in his window, and he could face prosecution over it :eek:
It's political correctness gone mad.
You can't even fart without getting wrong for it, god help us say, 10-20 years time.
Rant over :)

feel free to post your replies neg or pos. ( could do with a argument ) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
gollie ***.. (someone will no doubt find a pic and post it.. I dont know how to do it)

You used to be able to get badges off jam jars.

now they are considered racist as they were black.

live and live I say but its not about equality these days and it helps no ones cause.

mainly because the term '***' was used in a derogatory way towards non white people over here during the 60's/70's.

Sponsored Links
you know it's coming...........here it is.......wait....wait...

what is a gollie? asks the yank...

they were used as a brand for a certain jam manufacturer over here a few decades back.
I suppose over there a similar advertising icon would be the red indian statues advertising cigars?

kendor said:
they were used as a brand for a certain jam manufacturer over here a few decades back.

thanks kendor....crystal clear now :confused:

I wish I could find a piccy for you but I dont know how to do it.

I think it was robertsons, a jam making company who had a little person as a character to advertise their product.
It was a golliwog.

The golliwog was a black character...

I was only a child then and never viewed it as a hate the blacks thing!!!!!

but it was banned because it was apparently offensive.

maybe it was... but Id like to say, I never thought of the golli on the jam pot as meaning that folk with black skin were any different to me!!!!

Continuing kendor post the pic was a black doll like pic, it was used for a certain jam maker on there jars, the same as the black and white minstrels act.
But what i don't understand is why is it so bad now, but was acceptable years ago when the black v white was a issue :confused:

toffee said:
I wish I could find a piccy for you but I dont know how to do it.

I think it was robertsons, a jam making company who had a little person as a character to advertise their product.
It was a golliwog.

The golliwog was a black character...

I was only a child then and never viewed it as a hate the blacks thing!!!!!

but it was banned because it was apparently offensive.

maybe it was... but Id like to say, I never thought of the golli on the jam pot as meaning that folk with black skin were any different to me!!!!
I think the association came later during the skinhead culture of the late 60's early 70's where the term 'golliewog' or shortened to '***' was used against non whites.

i dont want to kick up a fuss....and im taking a wild guess...here in usa about 100 yrs ago, an african american (if you know the history of slavery...might giive you a hint) was known raciously as a "pik a ninny"--a terrible word, that became the icon word for the picture of little negro children with lots of braids in their hair....i think it was a "brand" also but dont know for what product....some people collect this type of "folk" art still.
Is this anywhere close to what this is referring too?

im 35 .

I can remenber also little black sambo books, which were about a black slave boy (shame shame )

but despite this..

I was never brainwashed into thinking that anyone who had a different skin colour to me was any different ( not true.. we are all different( I as never led to believe that I was superior to ANYONE.

This thread has been locked due to unacceptable messaging recurring after being deleted on 2 occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back