Turkey: in or out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, what do you think? Should Turkey be allowed into the EU or not? :?:

At the moment, I think their economy is too weak. I'm not too bothered that they aren't actually in Europe, nor that they are mainly muslims (wasn't the Byzantine Empire Christian for most of it's history?), but I don't want to be paying to bring a country with a population greater than the UK up to scratch. Surely their national culture can be no more different from ours than that of the East-Bloc countries that are now members?

So, I think it should be a "NO" at the moment, but we should keep their seat warm until they can join without being a drain on our resources.

As a side note, from reading the "have your say" comments on the BBC website it appears that the US media has been claiming the EU is falling apart :confused: :eek: Whilst I agree it isn't running that smoothly, it is hardly in danger of collapse at the moment! I have heard the US fears the EU both politically and economically, could this be related? (I won't use the word propaganda)

NB: due to certain arguments that I have seen raised on this, let me just say that writing a response that generates asterisks isn't big or clever, and it means you have a small todger. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
For what it's worth, I ******* **** ***** ******, and furthermore, *** to ******* ***** ****** ****!!!!

AdamW said:
Turkey: in or out?

Ahhh, I got all excited then!

I thought this was a link to some hot fowl p*rn.......I'm disappointed now!!

Sponsored Links
Turkey is definitely not *in*, hasn't been for some years ...wild boar is *in* as is venison......sprouts are out, roast mixed vegetables in....

Not the Christmas menu thread???

Still think that we should let wild boar in...

paintycait said:
Still think that we should let wild boar in...
I thought that was already the case reading some posts ;)

seems like it would be good to have more counties in and I don't spose that we should cherry pick the richer one's but dosnt Turkey have the potential to be a rich country anyway ? tourism and oil?? etc. remember Spain before it got all cosy with the rest of europe.

Richardp said:
seems like it would be good to have more counties in and I don't spose that we should cherry pick the richer one's but dosnt Turkey have the potential to be a rich country anyway ? tourism and oil?? etc. remember Spain before it got all cosy with the rest of europe.
Would Hampshire, Berkshire or Surrey be suitable to join? ;)

IN Only if they make Bernard Matthews a honorary President :LOL:

oilman said:
For what it's worth, I ******* **** ***** ******, and furthermore, *** to ******* ***** ****** ****!!!!
that`s worth 180 points on the Scrabble board :oops: De Gaulle said it better ....... NON

Didn't he also say "Zut alors! Ze Germans, zay are coming through Bel-jaaaaam! Allez! To Angleterre, retreeeeeeeat!"

I do think Cyprus could be/already is a major sticking point though. Imagine if we were still working on the assumption that we controlled Eire, and refused to acknowledge them in the EU? Seems rather stupid, doesn't it!

Or what if Spain was claiming Gibraltar? ;)

Richardp said:

Yes i do cause my sister was there and since those days the population of Spain has tripled and also Spain is one of the main reasons you have to pay so much tax as they are one of the biggest recievers of the EU budget.

Now if Turkey joins then you have another country who will require vast amounts of money from the EU probably they will require the most and Britain will have to find more money to support another bunch of no hopers.

Also they are muslim and will be throwing wieght behind the muslim demands in Europe which we can do without

So i would vote no if asked but i doubt in the democracy we live in we will ever be given the chance.

I think those who say yes should have to pay more tax instead of inflicting their wishes on the rest of us

AdamW said:
Didn't he also say "Zut alors! Ze Germans, zay are coming through Be-jaaaaam! Allez! To Angleterre, retreeeeeeeat!"
Picking their frozen turkeys up on the way?

kendor said:
AdamW said:
Didn't he also say "Zut alors! Ze Germans, zay are coming through Be-jaaaaam! Allez! To Angleterre, retreeeeeeeat!"
Picking their frozen turkeys up on the way?
That was Bernard`s first big order :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back