finders keepers ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to have a rant and the only place to do it is here, :LOL:

Anyway I lost my phone on my way to the shops, ( don't know how but I did ) I didn't know it was gone untill it was time to go home, the lad I work with rang it just incase I put it some where and forgot ( as you do ) but to no joy :(

So when I arrived home I thought I would ring it once more, and after about the 3rd ring this male voice answered, so I said bla bla etc.. ( no pee taking please :LOL: ) He agreed we would meet near where I was working and he would give me it back, guess what he never turned up :evil: so I rang the phone again but it was turned off :( it's not the phone i'm bothered about its some vid's whats on it ( of the kids at christmass )

I'm all for finders keepers and all that, but when it's your stuff that someone finds it sucks :)

Sponsored Links
thats why there is the offence of theft by finding, making it an offence to assume the rights of ownership if you dont take certain reasonable steps.

markie

Ring your service provider and give them your phones IMEI number, they can then disable the phone.
At least the low life who found won't be able to use it.
You should be able to find your phones IMEI on a label stuck to the box your phone came in.

Your service provider. Will have all the details to block/barr your phone. They may not be willing to do anything with the IMEI.

Sponsored Links
I got the phone off a friend, and he never give me the box nor has he got it now. And regarding getting it blocked it's open to any net work because when he had it he lost it and reported it lost, so when he give it to me I got it unblocked :( but i'm not bothered about the phone just vids of the kids at chrismass time opening their presents :(

markie said:
I lost my phone on my way to the shops

he would give me it back, guess what he never turned up

I'm all for finders keepers and all that, but when it's your stuff that someone finds it sucks :)

You're all for "finders keepers" until it's your stuff that someone finds.

Do I smell a contradiction here?

Multifinish said:
having the handset blacklisted using the imei will only stop it from making calls etc. the vids and pics will still be viewable
Good enough to make the phone "unsaleable" then eh?

markie, blocking the phone to certain networks is different to disabling the IMEI number (AFAIK), but without it, you're stuck. :(

Send the phone a txt, tell him he can keep the phone..but send the files to you. Tried to see if he has good side, as well as being an arse

markie said:

why !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would never keep anything of value that i know belongs to someone else if i can trace the owner i would [within reason]

so you can work out my moral values when i was 18 they gave me 50p to much in my change at the co-op i took it back later :D
mind you 50 was a lot of money 35 years ago :D :D :D ;)

mind you 4 years ago i found £30 on the road very tightly folded into a square and couldn't see anybody around to claim ownership :rolleyes:

so 2 choices walk to the police 2 miles away then hand it in or keep it!!!! ;)

If you find something and hand it in to the police, if its not claimed do you get to keep it? I have a feeling the police auction these finds off and keep the cash, so why hand it in to them?

nstreet said:
If you find something and hand it in to the police, if its not claimed do you get to keep it? I have a feeling the police auction these finds off and keep the cash, so why hand it in to them?

When my young daughter and I found a £10 note in the street we took it to the police station. Six weeks later it had not been claimed and it was given to my daughter with a bit of praise for her honesty.

A friend's son lost £40 pounds and accepted he would never see it again. Then his mother saw a note in the post office saying £40 pounds had been found and handed in. He was able to say roughly where he lost it and further describe a felt tip number on one of the notes. The boy has learning difficulties and had worked very hard to earn that money.

Honesty is a good thing.

Sponsored Links
Back