Good quality fence panels (not cheap B&Q panels)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some good quality fence panels, not the general panel sold by the likes of B&Q which have lasted a mere five years.

What would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
I wonder how many posts on this forum are unnecessary due to the answers being brought up with a google search?
Would this forum still exist?

In any case, thanks for your helpful reply but I'm really looking for opinions from other helpful members on long lasting wooden fence panels.

The posh ones with wavy tops and latticework are about £50 - £60 each and are ok, the ones you describe are probably the £15 larchlap jobbies which can be a bit pants. Proper featheredge and arris rail fence will be longest lasting, you can get featheredge panels ready made but even these can be a bit flimsy.

Sponsored Links
I have used guaranteed for 25 year panels. Expensive but definitely worth it. They keep going forever and no need for any treatments. Put "25 year fencing" into google

When you google this post comes up. It's disappointing that we simply don't freaking know where to get good fence panels. Last year I bought few from Travis Perkins and it turned out to be totally useless. It cracked opened from sides this summer. I think most of these retailer (Wickes, B&Q, TP etc) all sell same product which is manufactured by Forest Garden and it's total piece of crap. There is another company Jackson Fencing, they seem to have good review but these fences require assembly. So I'm also back to square one i.e. Googling.

Seriously no one here has ever bought good quality fences?

I use a local supplier, panels made to order and bespoke sizing available.

Most popular panel I fit are vertilap tanalised using feather edge boards.

Find a local supplier, preferably a place that treats its' own timber. Alternatively, build your own (this is a DIY forum, after all). The best fencing I've ever seen for wind resistance is Norfolk fencing, or double-sided "hit and miss" fencing. With this type of fence the splats (say 4 x 1 or 6 x 1 treated softwood) are nailed to the rails one side with 2in gaps, and the same on the other side, but with each splat in front of the gap on the opposite side and the gaps opposite the splats, etc. That way the wind can blow through them (and the fences actually slow it down quite a bit), but won't blow over. Not the cheapest solution, but good for privacy and absolutely wind-proof

Can be traditional vertical:

Hit and Miss Fencing 001.jpg

or modern "venetian" horizontal style:

Hit and Miss Venetian Fencing 002.jpg

amongst other styles. Any professional fencing firm should be able to supply this style of panel, made to your sizes

Find a local supplier, preferably a place that treats its' own timber. Alternatively, build your own (this is a DIY forum, after all). The best fencing I've ever seen for wind resistance is Norfolk fencing, or double-sided "hit and miss" fencing. With this type of fence the splats (say 4 x 1 or 6 x 1 treated softwood) are nailed to the rails one side with 2in gaps, and the same on the other side, but with each splat in front of the gap on the opposite side and the gaps opposite the splats, etc. That way the wind can blow through them (and the fences actually slow it down quite a bit), but won't blow over. Not the cheapest solution, but good for privacy and absolutely wind-proof

Can be traditional vertical:

View attachment 274975

or modern "venetian" horizontal style:

View attachment 274976

amongst other styles. Any professional fencing firm should be able to supply this style of panel, made to your sizes
They look good in picture but not a feasible solution when you are replacing old fences in a typical garden surrounded by 6 neighbours. I was looking for fences which I could easily slot in. I couldn't find any local supplier, all I see are B&Qs, Wickes, TPs etc.

They are a very good solution - but generally they are made to order, although they can equally be home-made using a square, tape, hand saw, hammer and nails. Pre-manufactured drop-in solutions tend to be lightweight and often won't withstand high winds due to the design (they lack any form of slots to allow wind to pass through). The first Norfolk fencing I ever made (as a paying job) reached 20 years of age in February and have had little maintenance over the years

Last edited by a moderator:
While i like the Norfolk Fencing style, i put featheredge boards along the border as next door's wild garden would break through those slats in short order. Although i put 4' boards in place, with a 1' trellis and a 1' gravel board it gave me a height of 6' without looking too blank. I also used three coats of Cuprinol for added protection, and two different colour tones so the boards have a variation that allows it to weather well without getting weather beaten.
It's taken a bit longer but the end result should set me up for the next twenty years without too much fuss: a brush down each year and all is well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back