Good quality recessed kitchen spots?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Had a spark around recently and he was advising we replace the lighting in the kitchen. These are old round recessed lights with little transformers above. Transformers and bulbs have started to die, housing is looking rough, and he's suggesting replace them with LED alternatives that don't need transformers. What he did say was don't buy cheap ones (specifically mentioning screwfix and B&Q) for various reasons. Instead, get proper trade ones which shouldn't be much more expensive.

So, could anyone direct me to where I should buy something like this? I mean there's plenty of choice all over the place, like these on eBay for example;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Fire...hash=item5673d92556:m:mGuCdrtrky4r69L0R4kcjVw

But I've no idea what constitutes cheap crap/crap, how to avoid buying crap or where to get good/trade versions.

Any tips?

Many thanks,

Baps.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Well for starters, don't buy from eBay.

Second, go for a well established brand, such as JCC, Aurora, Halers, Ansell Lighting (big fan of their stuff)

Dependant on the size of the hole(s) in the ceiling, I'd be looking at something like this. If you're gonna do it, you may as well go LED.

Or have a look here.

Other people have their own preferances

Thanks Iggifer. I wasn't going to buy from eBay, using that to find the sort of thing I'm looking for (didn't know how to refer to them other than 'kitchen lights that go in the ceiling'!)

Appreciate the brands and links, that gives me somewhere to start. Was wondering if they are dimmable or not, but I see some listed there as dimmable.

Many thanks!

Baps.

Edit: Spelling!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you do go for LED, you will need to ensure the dimmer you choose is compatible. Traditional dimmers and LEDs don't always play nicely together

Have a look at the Click incepter micro range
Those are a bit more affordable than some of the ones I'm seeing here.

If you do go for LED, you will need to ensure the dimmer you choose is compatible. Traditional dimmers and LEDs don't always play nicely together
Sorry I misspelled your name! Dimmer is probably the wrong kind I'd imagine. Is there any way to tell if I take the faceplate off?

It may have a wattage rating, or maybe a VA rating. The lower the better. If it's an existing dimmer, chances are it's not compatible.

[QUOTE="baps, post: 3517889, member: 229943" Was wondering if they are dimmable or not, but I see some listed there as dimmable.

Many thanks!

Baps.

Edit: Spelling![/QUOTE]

Why would it matter? You don't want dimmers in a kitchen, it is a work where you or she needs to see.

Why would it matter? You don't want dimmers in a kitchen, it is a work where you or she needs to see.

Not always! We'll have a dining area at the end of the kitchen so we'd like to keep the dimmer.

Dependant on the size of the hole(s) in the ceiling....
Or seize the opportunity to install lights actually designed to light up rooms rather than ones actually designed to not do that.

Make good any holes not needed, enlarge the ones in the right places, add more if necessary, and fit proper lights. They can still be recessed and unobtrusive, but they need to be a decent size.

Spotted these on ebay and now wondering if I can just replace the bust transformers for the moment and get new lights in the new year when cash aint so tight (hopefully). How do you know if they are compatible with the dimmer we have? Attached pic of the current transformers if that helps any.

IMAG0067.jpg

If it's only a couple quid would do in the mean time.

Thanks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Found some noted as dimmable, I'll go with those. Thanks!

Baps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back