Good quality recessed kitchen spots?

Why do you want dimmers in the kitchen anyway? It is a working room with dangerous tools and you or her needs to see what you are doing.

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest, why should we avoid eBay ?

I've fitted some in my kitchen, similar to those linked to in the OP (Minisun) which were a fraction of the cost of the others that have been recommended here and they seem fine. If anything, my only complaint is that the 5 x 5W warm bulbs seem much, much brighter than the 5 x 100W spots I have replaced. Beyond the bulbs going eventually, what other pitfalls could I have left myself open to ?

Do they say that they are compatible with the dimmer you have?
They are compatible with resistive and inductive dimmers, but I'm going to bring the info on the dimmer along. They are from a shop so should be able to tell me (I'm hoping).

Why do you want dimmers in the kitchen anyway? It is a working room with dangerous tools and you or her needs to see what you are doing.
It's not only a kitchen, we have a dining area at the back. Also walk through the kitchen so if we're not cooking, it's nice not to have it really bright in there.

Just out of interest, why should we avoid eBay ?
Probably perfectly fine if you know what you're looking for. Since I didn't know what to get, was probably a good idea for me to go elsewhere!

Beyond the bulbs going eventually, what other pitfalls could I have left myself open to ?

Possibly they have not been sufficiently suppressed against electro magnetic radiation (radio interference). If you or your neighbours have a DAB radio you may find it does not work with the lights on.

Sponsored Links
Beyond the bulbs going eventually, what other pitfalls could I have left myself open to ?

Possibly they have not been sufficiently suppressed against electro magnetic radiation (radio interference). If you or your neighbours have a DAB radio you may find it does not work with the lights on.
Interesting point. But I have a DAB radio pretty much right under one of the lights and it works fine...

Them catching fire.

Them developing internal faults which result in mains voltage being exposed to touch.

NOTE - I have no idea if those particular lights are flaky, but those sorts of pitfalls do await the unwary who buy on eBay and Amazon etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back