Good workbench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a good workbench to that is worth it's salt? I've seen plenty online, e.g., the Black & Decker WM626 Workmate but the reviews describe them as flimsy. I live in London so if you can recommend a workbench that i can pick up in a shop that's even better but i don't mind ordering online. Many thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
A workbench to what, there's little point in asking such a wide question as the answers can be just as wide. A little bit of targeted information would go a long way, I'm sorry to be so blunt but!!!

A workbench to what, there's little point in asking such a wide question as the answers can be just as wide. A little bit of targeted information would go a long way, I'm sorry to be so blunt but!!!
I want a workbench to cut timber, do a bit of sanding, drilling etc. For example, I've got a few floorboards that I want to sand with a belt sander. So a robust workbench that clamps properly would be handy. I'd like it to fold cause i don't have that much storage space

There are at least two or three past threads with this very question that I remember commenting on - an no new workmates have been brought out since so the comments should be still valid

Sponsored Links
for sanding floor boards assuming you are talking belt sander you are better with the plastic pegs on the work mate to grip the plank sides
with a bit off 6mm ply or mdf to space the floor board off the surface as the pegs are around 25mm and the boards are around 21mm
you will need another support at the back off the board [far end ]behind you

you should always work from the loose back end towards the clamped front end as this will try and pull the workmate so the supported back end will prevent this

if you try the other way round the workmate may tip up with the pull off the belt sander

for sanding floor boards assuming you are talking belt sander you are better with the plastic pegs on the work mate to grip the plank sides
with a bit off 6mm ply or mdf to space the floor board off the surface as the pegs are around 25mm and the boards are around 21mm
you will need another support at the back off the board [far end ]behind you

you should always work from the loose back end towards the clamped front end as this will try and pull the workmate so the supported back end will prevent this

if you try the other way round the workmate may tip up with the pull off the belt sander
That makes sense. It's the way I've done it with my old rubish work bench. I'm sure it will be easier when i get a new one that works properly :)

There are at least two or three past threads with this very question that I remember commenting on - an no new workmates have been brought out since so the comments should be still valid
Thanks for your reply. The advice in previous threads is to get a B&D workmate. However it is still the case that the old ones are good and only available at car bootsales. The new ones are prety flimsy and not that good. I was hoping for advice that will help me find a work bench that is good and is available in shops. If this information is available on the forum than i must have missed it. It'll be great if someone can point me in the right direction

I've got an old B&D and a cheap Aldi special. The B&D is more versatile (fold out legs for a wider stance and the ability to clamp vertically) but there is little between them in terms of their ability to clamp wood and both are fine for working on small pieces.

For a long length of timber like a floorboard, both become unstable and the solution is to use a bag or two of sand/ballast to weigh them down. A better solution for long lengths is to use two identical benches to clamp the piece.

That's the long way of saying you're probably better off with two cheap ones.

A stand alone work bench should weigh at least 150kg.

Having owned both Workmates and the Wolfcraft 800, I can say without hesitation that the latter is much better.

Discontinued now, but there are 2 on fleabay, one of them used but looks in good nick, and is buyer collect in London.

When I bought mine in Oct 2006 from Screwfix it was £75, so both prices look fair to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back