got a neon tester screwdriver? yes? then read this

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but one of the first things we were told on the Part P course (or should I say 'joke course' :rolleyes: ) was that neon screwdrivers were legal to sell/buy, but illegal to use :confused:

Sponsored Links
neon screwdrivers were legal to sell/buy, but illegal to use
Do you really think this makes any sense?

Once you've worked that one out you'll have the answer to the question.

I'll give you a clue ... It IS illegal to use them to stab someone with ;)

MW

Not quite the same thing as a piece of equipment which is developed to BS standards BAS but I take your point :LOL:

You're not saying they are illegal to use I guess ;)

Sponsored Links
neon screwdriver does have a major advantage over multimeters

what happens if both neutral and earth are disconnected. you take readings between phase and neutral and phase and earth. you get 0

you touch phase ad get a shock. if you used the neon, there would be ground so a voltage would show up

Bearing this in mind, the answer would seem to be to firstly use a digital multimeter to check that the neon screwdriver impedance is high and then use the neon screwdriver to check for voltage on the phase under test. ;) :LOL:

I use a meter all the time but I also have a neon screwdriver in my pocket for the odd quick check. It's my screwdriver - I know where it's been and I know it's safe. Not that I'd necessarily recommend one to anyone else and certainly not someone who uses it for everything else under the sun. How many people grab a meter and use it without first checking on a live circuit that it actually reads something? Hands up???

I used to use the back of my hand to prove dead :oops: :rolleyes: - I'm still here....

A colleague of my once used a 2"x4" steel bar to prove that a new uncommisioned conductor was dead. There was a bit of a bang and a flash before it glowed red and melted. Someone had connected the conductor to live without running it through any breakers. 760V DC at any amps you wanted to draw, and that kit sized for normal use of up to 3000A could provide.

The chap who helped commision the electrical installation at the new(at the time) Hatton Cross Station if he is still alive will be shivering in his boots reading that last post :D

10KA breakers dont like that sort of test :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back