Neon Screwdriver

Sponsored Links
Imagine this - the case of a metal CU is live due to schaffed cables entering a non - grommeted hole.
That could happen only if the MET is not connected to the supply earth, or if the CU case is not connected to the MET.

I test with my neon screwdriver...
Nope - you're already working unsafely. You should have verified the installation earth first, and supply polarity.

...and it shows a voltage present. I test with a two leaded tester between the case and what I think is a good earth and it shows nothing because this earth is also (for whatever reason) at mains potential. Given this scenario (or others in the same vein) which method would you advocate to initially ensure your safety?
Please see above. You've made assumptions that are not valid.

Does the infinitessimally small risk of using the neon screwdriver outweigh the chances of danger which might possibly be encountered in the type of scenario described above - I think so.
I don't. And not just because you're wrong about the scale of the risk.

Imagine this - the case of a metal CU is live due to schaffed cables entering a non - grommeted hole.
That could happen only if the MET is not connected to the supply earth, or if the CU case is not connected to the MET.

I have seen it once, so it does happen.

It was a metal clad isolator for a swimming pool plant.
The plant room was a garden shed which had become rotten.
The shed men removed the old shed whilst they were waiting for us to arrive to remove the supply for the new shed to be built.

The supply to the isolator was 100A TP&N, fed in 16.0mm² SWA.
The isolator had been wrenched about as the shed was removed which pulled all the armouring out of the SWA gland, and in the process the edge of gland dug into one of the phase conductors.

The whole casing of the isolator was live when we arrived.

Sponsored Links
Them prongs look a bit long though.

....to comply with GS38.
TLC's bullet list on the right hand model:

Key Functions
Voltage test range from 12 to 690 V AC/DC
Optical and acoustical continuity test
Patented, rotary-field indication
»no third hand required«
Single pole test for phase detection
Indication of polarity
Fully Compliant to GS38

Don't ask me! I wonder if the UK version has little extra slide-on insulation sleeves, not shown in the picture. Or something.

I've got a set somewhere.

Don't ask me where.

Thats what I think of them.

[grumble]Stupid rubbish RCD tripping test probes :evil: [/grumble]

The problem with some GS38 testers is that sometimes it's very difficult/hazardous to get 2mm probes to make a good contact. 4mm is better and is still GS38 compliant. And sometimes even 4mm isn't quite sufficient - but it has to do.

Don't ask me! I wonder if the UK version has little extra slide-on insulation sleeves, not shown in the picture. Or something.
My Fluke T5-1000 has 4mm tips, the Steinel CombiCheck has 2mm, and the RS branded combination checker has 15mm, and a warning that it's not GS38 compliant, so I'm all set whatever I choose to do...

Thought you'd done all the jobs around the house BAS? :D

Don't tell me you're thinking about becoming professional electrician for the first time? It's a bad part of the economic cycle you know?

One thing, I bet you could sell tickets to your on site assessment. :LOL:

Fully Compliant to GS38

There's no mention of any such accessory in the spec sheet or the user manual, so I suspect the website is wrong.

Thought you'd done all the jobs around the house BAS? :D

Don't tell me you're thinking about becoming professional electrician for the first time? It's a bad part of the economic cycle you know?

One thing, I bet you could sell tickets to your on site assessment. :LOL:
on-site assesment now that I would love to see but I think it would have to be amonth long for all the things BAS is competent at :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back