Government emergency alarm

If parts of 'Murca or London are anything to go by, an emergency alarm would be like a starting pistol for a "shopping" trip.....

Sponsored Links
Just on R5L.

Three network didn't get it.
O2 network was patchy getting it.
3g didn't get it.
Those out of signal didn't get it (but can't you make emergency calls when out of signal?)
Those without quite recent phone software updates didn't get it.

I've ticked at least two of those off :ROFLMAO:

10k a day to a Japanese firm to maintain it. Surly the UK tech is up to it ?

Sponsored Links
Just waiting patiently now for the first alert to be sent in anger. The wind is picking up here and my daffs are struggling. The weatherman regularly issues a yellow warning and report a risk of damage to roof tiles et al. Would this warrant a formal 'emergency alert'? A flying roof tile can be hazardous to health. ;)

Public health, and public safety, are a numbers game.

If, say, 80% of the population were going to die from, say, a hailstorm of flaming meteors, and you warned everybody to take cover, you might save 10% or more of the population. Worth doing.

Mass screening for cancer, TB, Covid, Syphilis didn't have to save everybody to be worthwhile. If there are a lot of cases, and you find half of them, or even a tenth, in time to save them, it's worthwhile. The same with vaccinations. If you could prevent a thousand deaths, you'd want to try. If you had a million children crippled with rickets, you'd give free school milk to all children, even the ones who were not at risk, just to get blanket coverage.

The cost of a cell broadcast to ten million people is not high.
So pootins nuked the Atlantic, and the tsunami is on its way, when do you press the golden buzzer, sorry i cannot see how an alarm sounded for 60 million people can cover individual circumstances.

Blup

In sure there is more behind this (longer term) than just a warning system for our benefit.

but in parts of USA it is used as an alert system for missing children or older people. Everybody within a certain distance gets a message of the person and an area and often a vehicle description. It's a useful tool in those circumstances.

i wonder if insurance companies will e able to access it to warn of impending floods etc. If they can prove you were warned to move valuable items to safety and failed to take notice maybe ?

If there are entire networks not working, it suggests that small-scale testing on a few cells had not already been carried out.

UK should have employed a Test Manager.

Did they use the same billionaire consultancies that "organised" the Test-And-Trace fiasco?

Or a Bra Baroness?

Or somebody's pub-owning neighbour?

Far be it from me to suggest that corruption and incompetence pour money into the pockets of Tory buddies.

But corruption and incompetence pour money into the pockets of Tory buddies.

I didn't receive the alert because I have an old phone.

The test is in preparation for any emergencies that might befall us. The Government like emergencies because they can then use "Emergency Laws" to override all other laws.

Expect some emergencies soon.

Same here. Not a thing from my 18 year old Nokia. Shook it and still nothing. However I did suffer the intrusion of this stunt because I was in my local having a roast. Other customers' dumb phones went off at the appointed hour, and the sheeple seemed calmed with the knowledge that their government was looking after their best interests. :giggle:

Just reinforced my aversion to dumb/smartphones. They always know your location, they listen in to your converstions through the apps you added and now they're a conduit for the government to keep you in a state of fear. No thanks. Accept I sound like an old luddite fogey, but I'll be the last person using an old phone, without a 'smart' meter, without an EV and paying with cash for most smallish, daily purchases.

Apparently some customers on the 'Three' network didn’t get the alert. Mrs Mottie and I are on the I.D. MVNO which piggybacks on the Three network and we never got any alerts. Any others on here on other networks that didn’t get it?
I did and I'm with Smarty, who are owned by Three and use their network.

Sponsored Links
Back