Government Justice Minister agrees to stop breaking the law

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
"LONDON - The Supreme Court has ruled that employment tribunal fees are illegal, in a victory for the trade union Unison who brought the appeal against the government.

The fees had led to a 79% reduction in cases going to tribunals over three years.

The government has said it will take "immediate steps" to stop employment tribunal fees and refund claimants who have previously been charged.

The court said: "The Fees Order is unlawful under both domestic and EU law because it has the effect of preventing access to justice. Since it had that effect as soon as it was made, it was therefore unlawful and must be quashed."

Dominic Raab, the justice minister said: "We will take immediate steps to stop charging fees in employment tribunals and put in place arrangements to refund those who have paid. We will also further consider the detail of the judgment."

The "Fees Order", which meant claimants to employment tribunals had to pay a fee before a case was heard before a tribunal, was introduced under former justice secretary Chris Grayling in 2013. "

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/supreme-court-employment-tribunal-fees-are-illegal-2017-7/

I am rather surprised they aren't trying to draw it out and fight on. Will the Daily Wail have a front-page spread again, declaring that the British Courts are "Enemies of the People?"

Surely they don't approve of employees having rights?

Sponsored Links
Glad to hear that. It was a nasty attack on vulnerable workers rights.

What about the three years of cases not being brought before the tribunal because people could not afford it?
I suppose they are 'out-of-date' now?

Sponsored Links
What about the three years of cases not being brought before the tribunal because people could not afford it?
I suppose they are 'out-of-date' now?

No. I think it was wrong all the way.

Back